A chemical spill caused two wings of South Lakes High School to be temporarily closed Monday morning as Fairfax County Police were called to the school for cleanup.
The spill, reportedly of a small amount of hydrochloric acid, occurred in one of the science labs prior to the school day, a school spokeswoman said. No students were injured and the police were called as part of school protocol. Two staff members in the lab at the time were taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure, a FCPS spokesman said.
Hydrochloric acid is is highly corrosive, can cause severe burns if it gets on skin and can be noxious to breathe, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.
The two wings closest to the lab (the junior and senior subschools) were closed and students are relocated until the all-clear can be given.
The fire department was still on the scene as of 7:54 a.m.