The undefeated South Lakes High School girls basketball team will travel to the Boo Williams Classic in Hampton, Va., Thursday where the Seahawks will play St. Francis Academy in the opening round at 6 p.m..
South Lakes is 7-0 and is ranked No. 6 by the Washington Post. The girls are coming off a 71-27 thrashing of Herndon last week. Three players scored in double figures for the Seahawks — Abigail Rendle (15), Natalie Toma (12) and Princess Aghayere (11).
South Lakes has held opponents to an average of 29 points per game so far this season.
The 2-4 boys team will play Centreville at the Wakefield Holiday Tournament at 2:45 p.m. Thursday.
Swimming — The South Lakes girls swim team defeated Fairfax on Dec. 20 186-129. The boys team lost to Fairfax 156.5-152.5.
South Lakes won both the boys and girls 200 yard Medley Relay. Mac Sogandares, Benjamin Gryski, Dylan Hawley, and Tyler Hutson swam for the boys. Natalie Obando, Sabrina Groves, Emily Landeryou, and Kaylyn Macaluso swam for the girls. South Lakes also won both 400 yard Freestyle Relays, with Tyler Ellis, Hawley, Gryski, and Sogandares swimming for the boys and Groves, Madeleine Daum, Landeryou, and Obando swimming for the girls.
South Lakes girls won all but three of their events. Highlights included:
• Emily Landeryou achieved a State time with a first place finish in 100yd Butterfly and a Region time in 200 Free.
• Natalie Obando achieved a Region time in 100 Back.
• A one-two finish in 100yd Freestyle for Caitlyn King (first) and Daum, in 100yd Back for Obando (first) and King, and in 100yd Butterfly for Landeryou (first) and Groves.
• First place finish in 200yd Individual Medley for Groves; in Diving for Sarah Wikowske; in 100yd Breast for Macaluso.
Though they couldn’t edge Fairfax for the win, the South Lakes boys had some outstanding swims:
• Mac Sogandares achieved a Region time with a first place finish in 100yd Butterfly.
• Hawley, Hutson and Ellis swept the 50yd Freestyle.
• A one-two finish in 100yd Butterfly for Sogandares (first) and Hawley, and in 200yd Individual Medley for Gryski (first) and Max Onozuka.
Photo of SLHS swimmer Emily Landeryou by David Cordts
The Town of Vienna has now committed about a third of the $7 million bequeathed by late councilmember Maud Robinson for building sidewalks to specific projects. As of Aug. 2,……
While school doesn’t officially start until Aug. 22, The Water Mine at Lake Fairfax will wind its summer operations down a week early this year, beginning Monday (Aug. 18). The…
People walk by Caffi Field, a football field in Vienna (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Driver in Fatal Franconia Crash Charged With Manslaughter — Sara Flores, 20, of Lorton was…