Paced by its winning 4×400 and 4×800 relay teams, the South Lakes High School indoor track teams finished second in the girls division and fourth in the boys’ at the Southeastern Invitational Jan. 3-4 in Hampton, Va. There were 32 teams in each division.
Senior Grace Gillen, juniors Claire Nieusma, Delaney Wickman and sophomore Golden Kumi-Darfour ran a State Qualifying time of 4:04.32 in the girls 4×400 in winning the event. Senior Abby Reinhold and sophomore Monica Lannen teamed with Gillen and Kumi-Darfour to win the 4×800 meter relay in 9:43.58, which qualified them for regionals.
The boys 4×800 team of seniors Michael Kerr, Michael Uhrig, Daniel Johnsen and junior Andrew McCool won their event in a Regional Qualifying time of 8:14.79.
Both the boys and girls 4×800 teams won in meet-record times.
SLHS boys also ran a District Qualifying time in the 4×200 when seniors Marcus Harrell, Khayri Denny, Ben O’Connor and Johnsen ran a 1:34.30 and finished third.
More than 20 members of the SLHS indoor track team have met District, Regional and State qualifying standards. Adding to that list from the Southeastern Invitational are:
- 55 meter hurdles: freshman Devyn Jones, 8.93 (5th)
- 300 meters: Johnsen, 36.20 (3rd); Delaney Wickman 41.96 (6th)
- Long jump: senior Danielle Hale, 16-9.75 (2nd)
- Triple jump: Hale, 36-0 (3rd)
- 55 meter hurdles: junior Maya Rodriguez, 9.82 (14th)
- 55 meters: Harrell, 6.98 (21st)
- 300 meters: Harrell, 38.31 (15th)
- 500 meters: Sam Arpee 1:11.88 (9th); junior Ozioma Chinaka, 1:23.7 (6th)
- 1000 meters: Reinhold, 3:16.18 (4th); junior Devin Nieusma, 3:17.08 (6th)
Seahawk track competes this week: Wednesday in the DCIAA Invitational Wednesday, Jan. 8 in Landover, MD at the Prince George’s County Sportsplex; in a tri-meet with Langley and Herndon high schools on Friday, Jan. 10 at Thomas Jefferson Middle School and at the Flames Invitational Friday and Saturday at Liberty University in Lynchburg.
Submitted by Valerie Lister/Photo courtesy Ed Lull.