Dominion says it expects to be able to meet demand, however all power sources in its 13-state region are expected to be running at maximum levels.
The company says you can do your part by:
- Setting the heating system thermostat to the lowest temperature that leaves you comfortable. Dominion and the U.S. Department of Energy generally recommend 68 degrees. If you have a heat pump, it is important that you leave it on a constant setting for maximum energy savings.
- Turning off any unneeded lights.
- Delaying using dishwashers, washing machines, clothes dryers and other large appliances until later in the evening.
- Keeping the water heater set at 120 degrees. If your water heater is located in an unheated space, install an insulation wrap on the heater and adjacent pipes to prevent heat loss.
- Sealing any areas where you feel cold air coming into the house, such as underneath and around exterior doors, windows and electric outlets.
- Closing the flue to any fireplace that is not in use.