Hundreds of inventors, students, crafters and people who want to learn about them are expected at South Lakes High School and Langston Hughes Middle School Sunday for the inaugural Nova Mini Maker Faire.
The Mini Maker Faire is the idea of Nova Labs, a non-profit Maker Space in Reston. Nova Labs has a regular mission to provide the community a workshop where people can learn, teach, and collaborate on creative and technical works, and to promote the usefulness of competence in the technical arts, says Nova Labs president Brian Jacoby.
Nova Labs regularly hosts learning sessions on robotics, electronics, 3D printing, programming, woodworking, yarn & fabric arts and many other maker topics. Different memberships level offer opportunities to learn from others and used the lab’s space, tools and equipment.
The Mini Maker Faire expands on that mission.
“All kids — and adults — need more encouragement to follow their curiosity and be innovative problem solvers,” Jacoby said in a press release. “The Mini Maker Faire celebrates working with raw materials, engaging kids’ minds, and helping them to become critical thinkers.”
Here is what you need to know:
* The event runs from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* Tickets are $8 for children and $20 for adults.
* There will be more than 99 booths with all sorts of hands-on activities. Among them:
- Aluminum Aerogami (a combination of origami and model airplane building from aluminum cans)
- 3D scanning and printing of you
- Musical instrument maker
- Snoopy Robot
- Solar- powered Car
- Light-up sewing
- Hand-spinning yarn
- Kinetic, wearable, and electronic art
- Science experiments you can do at home by Gravity is Optional
- Spy gadgets by the International Spy Museum
Visit the Mini Maker Faire website for a full list of makers.
* NOTE: There will be no parking at the schools. Shuttle buses will run from the Herndon Monroe Park and Ride.
Photo: Students from Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology will have a rocketry exhibit where others can try out stomp rockets at the Nova Mini Maker Faire Saturday. Credit: Nova Mini Maker Faire.