Twelve South Lakes High School athletes were among the top finishers at the VHSL 6A Track and Field Championship in Newport News Friday and Saturday.
Leading the way were Senior Grace Gillen, juniors Claire Nieusma, Delaney Wickman and sophomore Golden Kumi-Darfour, who placed third in the 4×400 meter relay with a 3:55.44. They will compete at Nationals this weekend in Greensboro, N.C.
Wickman also finished fifth in both the 200 meters (25.54) and 400 meters (57.25). Kumi-Darfour ran a school-record 2:12.81 for fifth place in the 800 meters. The old mark of 2:13.27 was set by Jeraldine Cofie in 1998. Both Wickman and Kumi-Darfour will compete in those individual events at Nationals as will Devyn Jones, who qualified for the freshman triple jump.
Kumi-Darfour and Gillen teamed with senior Abby Reinhold and junior Augusta Durham for seventh in the 4×800 meter relay (9:33.73). They earned All-State honors along with teammates:
- Senior Khayri Denny, 4th, long jump, 21-08.50
- Sophomore Eric Kirlew, 7th, triple jump, 44-05.50
- Boys 4×400 meter relay team (seniors Michael Kerr, Luis Rivas, Daniel Johnsen, junior Sam Arpee), 6th, 3:23.10
Other SLHS performances at the state championship:
- Senior Danielle Hale, 11th, long jump (16-01.75); triple jump, 13th (36-00.75)
- Junior Claire Nieusma, 13th, 300 meter hurdles (47.09 personal best)
- Jones, 10th, 100 meter hurdles (15.92)
- Denny, 9th, 100 meters (11.29); 13th, 200 meters (22.66)
- Johnsen, 13th, 400 meters (50.15)
- Kerr, 12th, 800 meters (1:57.35)
- Rivas, 22nd, 800 meters (2:00.45)
- Girls 4×100 meter relay team (Hale, freshman Nikayla Hoyte, juniors Ozioma Chinaka, Jordan Lozama), 13th (49.43)
- Boys 4×100 meter relay team (Denny, seniors Ben O’Connor, Anthony Mayo, sophomore Skander Ballard), 17th (44.16)
- Boys 4×800 meter relay team (Kerr, Rivas, junior Andrew McCool, sophomore John LeBerre), 12th (8:08.91)
— Submitted by Valerie Lister; photos courtesy of Ed Lull via Facebook.