54°Clear

Smoking Causes $1.2 Million in Damage to Apartment Building

by Karen Goff — November 12, 2014 at 11:50 am 1,125 1 Comment

Improperly discarded smoking materials were the cause of a fire on Monday that cause $1.25 million in damage to an apartment complex in unincorporated Herndon, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue officials said.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to the fire at a garden apartment building at 13842 Jefferson Park Dr. in unincorporated Herndon about 9:50 a.m on Monday.

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire coming from the top floor and attic of the four-story building, fire officials said.

The incident commander sounded a second alarm, which brought more than 60 firefighters to the scene. The fire was brought under control in about 20 minutes, fire-rescue said.

Eighteen occupants have been displaced and the American Red Cross is providing services.

Fire investigators said the accidental fire started when smoking materials were improperly discarded on a fourth-floor balcony.

 Photos: Trevor James via Flickr

  • east297

    Just wait until marijana becomes the smoke of choice…NO more cigs, but something worse!

×

Subscribe to our mailing list