After years of discussion, the school board approved a new bell schedule last October in order for high school students to get extra sleep time. Instead of starting at 7:20 a.m., high schools will begin between 8 and 8:10 a.m.
Most elementary schools will only be slightly adjusted, but middle schoolers will be seeing an earlier start.
The change will benefit more than 57,000 high school students representing more than 30 percent of FCPS’ student population, the school system said.
The school system says transportation teams are working on bus schedules and parents will receive information on bus schedules during the summer.
Here are the bell schedules for Reston schools in 2015-16:
- Aldrin 9:20 a.m. to 4:05 p.m.
- Armstrong 8:55 a.m. to 3:40 p.m.
- Crossfield 9:15 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Dogwood 8:50 a.m. to 3:35 p.m.
- Forest Edge 8:50 a.m. to 3:35 p.m.
- Fox Mill 8:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Hunters Woods 8:55 a.m. to 3:40 p.m.
- Lake Anne 8:50 a.m. to 3:35 p.m.
- Sunrise Valley 9:20 a.m. to 4:05 p.m.
- Terraset 9:20 a.m. to 4:05 p.m.
- Herndon 7:30 a.m. to 2:15 p.m.
- Hughes 7:30 a.m. to 2:15 p.m.
- Herndon 8:10 a.m. to 2:55 p.m.
- South Lakes 8:10 a.m. to 2:55 p.m.
- Thomas Jefferson 8:40 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Before we head into a weekend, let’s take a look back at the biggest stories on the site in recent days. Pet of the Week: Bear who, after living outside…
Construction on a new pedestrian bridge over Wiehle Avenue is set to begin sometime next summer. The bridge, which would connect to the Washington & Old Dominion Trail, is intended…
Zoomph, a Reston-based tech company that started in 2016 is continuing to build national partnerships. Its digital platform provides social media post metrics for sports clients along with detailed demographic…
For anyone who feels strongly about whether or not Lee Highway and Lee-Jackson Memorial Highway should continue to bear those names, the time to share that opinion has arrived. The…