Fire Damages Townhouse on Great Owl Circle

Fairfax County Fire RescueFairfax County Fire Rescue said improperly discarded smoking materials caused a fire on the deck of a Reston townhouse on Sunday.

Units responded to 11708 Great Owl Circle about 4:40 p.m. They encountered smoke and fire coming from the rear deck of the two-story townhouse. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire.

Three people were home when the fire broke out and escaped safely and there were no injuries, firefighters said.

Damage is estimated at $2,000.

The smoking materials had been discarded in a flower pot on the deck.

Fairfax County Fire Rescue says smokers should always follow these tips to avoid fire:

  • Completely douse butts and ashes with water before throwing them away, as they can smolder and cause a fire.
  • Never smoke in bed.
  • Provide large, deep ashtrays with a center support for smokers. Check furniture for any dropped ashes before going to bed. Empty ashes into a fireproof container with water and sand.
  • Keep smoking materials away from anything that can burn (i.e., mattresses, bedding, upholstered furniture, draperies, etc.).
  • Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used.
  • If you smoke, choose fire-safe cigarettes. They are less likely to cause fires.
  • To prevent a deadly cigarette fire, you must be alert. You won’t be if you are sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
  • Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children’s sight and reach.

Recent Stories

The Herndon Metro station (staff photo by Jay Westcott) With the Silver Line Phase II opening still in flux, Fairfax County is being asked to pay another $40 million. At…

Route 7 has a new eastbound lane between Reston Avenue and Riva Ridge Drive (via VDOT) Drivers headed east on Route 7 in Reston can now get a small taste…

Morning Notes

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue responded to a burned-up elevator motor at 226 Maple Avenue in Vienna on Saturday (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Metro Extends Blue Line Shutdown —…

Bicyclist crosses Wiehle Avenue in Reston at site of future bridge (staff photo by Jay Westcott) The weekend is almost here. Before the remnants of Hurricane Ian arrive or you…

The Ravel Dance Studio will re-open for fall classes 2020. The school will offer in person and virtual online instruction. With over 5000 sq. ft. to social distance the school has added air ionization filtration systems, ballet barres, acrylic dividers, hands free bathrooms, strict monitoring and more.

The Ravel Dance Studio will produce a Nutcracker Ballet Hollywood style video through the Reston Community CenterStage. REGISTRATION online begins August 17.

Submit your own Community Post here for just $99.

Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.

He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.

Read More

Submit your own Community Post here for just $99.

×

Subscribe to our mailing list