This is a sponsored post by Eve Thompson of Reston Real Estate.
Labor Day weekend — the last hurrah before summer officially ends. We celebrate the holiday in style here in Reston with the annual Lake Anne Jazz & Blues Festival — one of my absolute favorite events of the whole year. If you’re new to Reston, or have never made it down to Lake Anne for this event, make sure to put it on your calendar.
In fact, the Lake Anne Jazz & Blues Festival is so much fun, it’s going to be an entire week this year. The fun starts Aug. 30 and culminates on Saturday, Sept. 5. And the best part is it is free. Fun for the whole family, this festival showcases talented local emerging artists and national jazz performers. Not only will there be great music, the Lake Anne merchants are featuring specials and there will be a fun featured film as part of the ongoing Summer Film Festival series.
Ready for a week of great music? Here is the full list of activities:
- Aug. 30 (sundown) – Summer Film Festival Series Movie “Jazz on a Summer’s Day” (1959 Classic)
- Sept. 1 (7-10 p.m.) – The Red Tree Solo (Café Montmartre)
- Sept. 1 (8 p.m.) – Jazz Trivia Night (Kalypso’s Sports Tavern)
- Sept. 1 (6-9 p.m.) – Mykle Lyons Trio (Plaza)
- Sept. 2 (8-10 p.m.) – The Caterpillars Duet (Café Montmartre)
- Sept. 2 (9:30 p.m.) – Jazz Karaoke Night (Kalypso’s Sports Tavern)
- Sept. 3 (7-9 p.m.) – Take A Break Concert Series featuring the Chris Vadala Quartet (Plaza)
- Sept. 4 (7:30-10:30 p.m.) – Cabernet (Café Montmartre)
- Sept. 4 (6:30-8:30 p.m.) — The Jason Kearse Trio (Plaza)
September 5 Jazz & Blues Festival Line Up
- 1 p.m. Ted Garber
- 2 p.m. Cissa Paz
- 3 p.m. Integriti Reeves4 p.m. Nia Olabesi
- 5 p.m. Mykle Lyons
- 6 p.m. Texas Chainsaw
- 7 p.m. Adrian Duke (Headliner)
- 9:30 p.m. Post Festival Late Night with Sam Gunderson (Kalypso’s Sports Tavern)
Don’t forget about the merchants. Here are some of the specials you can expect:
- Chesapeake Chocolates: Special Edition chocolate musical notes and instruments. Wine Tasting Sept. 3 from 5:30 to 7:30p.m.
- Reston’s Used Book Shop: 50 percent off all books about music
- Small Change Kids Consignment Shop: Melissa & Doug musical toys 50% off
- The Reston Museum: Music sale on local jazz performers Beverly Cosham, Menda Ahart and Felicia Crowley
But that’s only until Saturday, you say. You are right. So on Labor Day, head down the road to Herndon for the annual Herndon Labor Day Festival! It’s Monday, Sept. 7, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on the Herndon Town Green (777 Lynn Street, Herndon, VA 20170).
There will be tastings of Virginia wines and craft beers, great music, a craft show, sponsor gallery, and food vendors. The Herndon Parks and Recreation Department and the Herndon Woman’s Club produce this fun event.
Admission and information
- Wine, Craft Brew Tastings and Entertainment – $20
(ID required to purchase tastings)
- Concert only or designated driver – $5
- Extra beer tastings – $2 per ticket
- Cash only at gate
- Children 12 and under free
- No pets allowed
- Wine and craft brew tasting and selling of open containers ends at 4 p.m.
It’s a few weeks away, but enjoy your last official weekend of summer. I know I’m looking forward to it!
The Barton Hill Recreation Area in Reston is slated for upgrades (via Google Maps) Upgraded lighting is no longer a component of upgrades to the Barton Hill tennis courts in…
Fairfax County Public Schools Fairfax County Public Schools could require parental notifications for class materials deemed sexually explicit, but in a deviation from the state, the proposed policy directly addresses…
A public art piece inspired by the connectivity and energy of atoms has been erected in Reston Town Center’s Hyatt Park. Called “Vidustria,” the installation is drawn from the word…
A man walks by trash bins next to the curb (via Trinity Nguyen on Unsplash) (Updated at 1:25 p.m.) The service and staffing challenges plaguing trash collectors throughout Fairfax County…
The Ravel Dance Studio will re-open for fall classes 2020. The school will offer in person and virtual online instruction. With over 5000 sq. ft. to social distance the school has added air ionization filtration systems, ballet barres, acrylic dividers, hands free bathrooms, strict monitoring and more.
The Ravel Dance Studio will produce a Nutcracker Ballet Hollywood style video through the Reston Community CenterStage. REGISTRATION online begins August 17.
Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.
He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.