Police were called to the 10600 block of Runaway Lane at 8:19 a.m.
They said a man, believed to be experiencing emotional distress, approached a couple and their children as they were attempting to get into their car. The suspect allegedly yelled obscenities and assaulted the husband and the family’s dog, and verbally threatened the wife, police said.
Responding officers witnessed some of the erratic behavior and took the suspect into custody immediately. He was charged with assault and battery, disorderly conduct, and animal cruelty. He will undergo a psychological evaluation Monday, police said. His identity is being withheld due to the sensitive nature of this case.
There were no injuries.
In other crime news reported by FCPD’s Reston District Station:
A resident reported that an unidentified female entered a residence in the 1100 block of Amanda Drive in Great Falls through an unlocked door Friday at about 8:06 p.m.
The suspect spoke briefly to the resident and then left without taking anything. She was described as white, about 30 years old, 5 feet 5 inches tall and around 130 pounds. She had short, straight, reddish-blonde hair. She was wearing a black dress, a black coat and black heels. She was carrying a black purse.
- 1800 block of Explorer, credit card from business
- 2200 block of Hunters Woods Plaza, clothing from business
- 1400 block of North Gate Square, cash from residence
- 11700 block of North Shore Drive, property from vehicle
- 1400 block of Parkdale Court, driver’s license from residence
- 1600 block of Wiehle Avenue, briefcase from vehicle