Fairfax County Public Schools will finally open on Monday — but there will be a two-hour delay, the system announced Sunday afternoon.
Following an assessment of roads and sidewalks throughout the county, despite rising temperatures today, a significant number of sidewalks and crosswalks remain impassable.
In order to provide additional daylight for morning travel, including more than 40,000 students that walk to school, all Fairfax County public schools will open two hours late Monday February 1, 2016. School offices and central offices will open on time. (Condition 3B)
• Morning preschool (special education) classes are canceled.
• Afternoon preschool classes start on their regular schedule.
• Full-day preschool (special education) and Family and Early Childhood Education Program/Head Start classes start two hours later than the regular schedule.
• Morning field trips are canceled.
• SACC centers will open at 7 a.m.
• Morning transportation for high school academy classes is canceled. Transportation for afternoon academy classes will be provided.
• Adult and community education classes will start on time.
We ask the community to please clear sidewalks and bus stops to the extent practicable. Drivers are asked to be extra vigilant as students make their way to and from schools and bus stops this week. Many residential streets have been narrowed by snow piles which may make it challenging for our buses to navigate.
The FCPS Transportation Office has been assessing bus routes throughout the weekend and will communicate via email alternative pick up and drop off location as necessary. For those utilizing kiss and ride, please exercise patience as traffic volumes may be higher than normal.
FCPS has not had school since Wednesday, Jan. 20 due to snow.
Photo: Snowed-in sidewalk in Reston, Sunday, Jan. 31
The weekend is almost here. Before you try to process the end of the Roe v. Wade era or head to bed for some much-needed sleep, let’s revisit the past…
A new Chinese restaurant is opening soon at Lake Anne Plaza. Big Wonton, a Chinese restaurant that already has another delivery concept in Reston, will take up space at 14438…
The U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade today (Friday) in a landmark decision that will effectively ban abortion in more than a dozen states. Abortion remains legal in Virginia,…
A trio of candidates is seeking the position of mayor for the Town of Herndon, typically a non-competitive race. Councilmembers Sean Regan and Jasbinder Singh are running against current Mayor…