This is a sponsored post by Eve Thompson of Reston Real Estate.
Are you planning on avoiding beach traffic and staying put this Labor Day weekend? I don’t blame you. I don’t even plan to leave Lake Anne Plaza, especially this Labor Day weekend.
Eleven years ago, my friend Mykle Lyons were talking about how to evolve Lake Anne Plaza into more of a music venue. That conversation was the start of the annual Jazz & Blues Festival.
Ten years later, it is one of the highlights of the summer, due in large part to the work our fellow sponsors, Lane Anne Merchants, and the Reston Community Center.
So grab your suntan lotion and a lawn chair, and head down to Lake Anne Plaza on Saturday, Sept. 3.
This year we’re celebrating our 10th anniversary! It seems like just yesterday that we hosted the first one. Over the years, we’ve had so much fun, we can’t just keep it to one day.
So Lake Anne Jazz Week starts Friday, Aug. 26 and will conclude on Saturday, Sept. 3 (Labor Day Weekend) with the Lake Anne Jazz & Blues Festival.
You read that right — it’s a whole week! Throughout the week, we have a variety of jazz themed events from live music to a free feature film classic () on August 26 at 7:30 p.m. Now that I think about it, this would be a great week for your family staycation. Just a suggestion.
Jazz & Blues Festival Line Up (Sept. 3)
- 1:00 p.m. – Adrian Duke
- 2:00 p.m. – Mykle Lyons Sextet
- 3:00 p.m. – Chip Bubeck
- 4:00 p.m. – Integriti Reeves
- 5:00 p.m. – Clarence Penn
- 6:00 p.m. – Sam Gunderson
- 7:00 p.m.- Dixie Power Trio
Jazz Week Merchant Activities
There is always more to Jazz Week than the music. The Lake Anne Merchants have a ball coming up with specials and fun things to do all week long.
- Chesapeake Chocolates, Wine, Gifts and More –
September 1: Virginia Wine & Cheese Tasting (6:00 p.m. – 7 p.m.).
September 3: Wine and Chocolate Tasting (2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.). Free.
- PetMAC Pet Nutrition Center – Jazz up your pet with 35 percent off all collars, leashes and apparel
- Reston Art Gallery – Browse locally created art at Reston Art Gallery & Studios at Lake Anne Plaza. Get 10 percent off a variety of musically themed art in various media such as acrylics, oils, watercolors, pastels and even mobiles and collages. You may even get lucky and get to see the artist at work creating a masterpiece! Refreshments will be served.
- Reston Museum – 20 percent off special edition Robert E. Simon martini and Bloody Mary glasses, each one etched with the signature of Reston’s founder.
- Reston’s Used Book Shop – 50 percent off on all jazz and blues themed books.
- Samantha Hu, Medical Chi-Kung Therapy – Free consultations during Jazz Week.
- small change Consignment – All musical toys 20 percent off.
- Kalypsos Sports Tavern – Acoustic music on the patio Friday and Sunday 5-8 pm.; Friday night “The Vandelays” at 9:30pm.;
Saturday Sam Gunderson performs immediately following his Jazz Week performance (9:30 p.m.); Look for a special menu for Jazz fest week as well as Jazz Week drink.
All this takes place Lake Anne Plaza’s Waterfront, 1609 Washington Plaza, Reston.
If you see me walking around with my adorable French bulldog, stop and say hi! Or peek in the Lake Anne Coffee Shop — that’s where I spend most of my free time as we prepare to open our doors soon.
Food apps are bringing changes to a Lake Anne Plaza anchor restaurant that’s catering to niches for pizza, pasta and more. Kalypso’s Sports Tavern, which often draws crowds to its…
As the Return to Earn initiative continues to help the unemployed transition back into the workforce, it is also providing a $500 holiday bonus this year for employees.
A task force of nearly 30 people has recommended renaming two highways in Fairfax County, following concerns that their invocation of the Confederacy runs counter to the county’s goal of…
(Updated. at 9:50 a.m.) The St. James has signed a lease at One Freedom Plaza for a 25,000-square-foot facility at 11951 Freedom Drive. The company, the region’s largest athletic facility,…