There are 19 reasons to vote absentee. Among them:
- Student attending college or university outside of locality of residence in Virginia
- Spouse of student attending college or university outside locality of residence in Virginia
- Business outside County/City of residence on Election Day
- Personal business or vacation outside County/City of residence on Election Day
- I am working and commuting to/from home for 11 or more hours between 6:00 AM and 7:00 PM on Election Day
- I am a first responder (member of law enforcement, firefighter, emergency technician, search and rescue)
- My disability or illness
- I am primarily and personally responsible for the care of a disabled/ill family member confined at home
- My pregnancy
- Confined, awaiting trial
- Confined, convicted of a misdemeanor
- An electoral board member, registrar, officer of election, or custodian of voting equipment
- I have a religious obligation
- Active Duty Merchant Marine or Armed Forces
- Spouse or dependent living with a member of Active Duty Merchant Marine or Armed Forces
- Temporarily residing outside of US
- Temporarily residing outside of US for employment or spouse or dependent residing with employee
- Authorized representative of candidate or party serving inside the polling place
The North County Government Center polls will be open Monday – Friday, 2-8 p.m through Nov. 4; and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. through Nov. 5.
If you want to vote by mail, not that the U.S. Postal Service has changed its delivery standards and First Class mail delivery is now two to five days. Standard delivery is now two to nine days.
The Fairfax County Office of Elections advises taking this into consideration and allowing ample time to apply for and mail-in your absentee ballot so that it is delivered to the Office of Elections by Election Day, Nov. 8 by 7 p.m. If you still need a ballot you can apply online.
Absentee ballots are counted on election night after 7 p.m. (when polls close) and included with the other 243 precinct results, says the Fairfax County Office of Elections.
Monday is also the last day to register to vote in Virginia. Go to Vote.Virginia.Gov to register or update registration.
Meanwhile, here are some stats from Fairfax County (through Wednesday)
Absentee ballots cast to date:
In-person – 9,299
Mail-in ballots received – 6,216
Total – 15,515
(For reference, in 2012 the final total of absentee ballots cast was 92,540).
Absentee ballots mailed out – 33,630
A proposal to invest $250,000 to beautify and clean up Lake Anne plaza appears to be picking up steam. The Lake Anne of Reston Condominium Association (LARCA) has signaled its…
This is an opinion column by Del. Ken Plum (D), who represents Reston in Virginia’s House of Delegates. It does not reflect the opinion of Reston Now. A combination of…
This week’s Pet of the Week is Sensational Sage, a Shiba Inu mix whose tail can never stop wagging. Here’s what Safe Haven Puppy Rescue had to say about Sensational…
Peraton is moving its corporate headquarters from Worldgate Drive in Herndon to Reston Town Center. The 19,000-employee company has around 5,000 workers in the D.C. area, and its new space…