Townhouse Fire Displaces Three Men

Fairfax County Fire RescueThe improper disposal of “smoking materials” caused a fire that left three men without a home last night, according to the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department.

Firefighters rushed to the scene of a townhouse fire on the 11500 block of Hearthstone Court around 10:38 p.m. Tuesday. Rescue crews knocked the fire down about 12 minutes after arriving.

Investigators said the home’s three residents had already safely evacuated before firefighters got there. The men became aware of the fire after one of them saw smoke while in the kitchen.

Only one smoke alarm was found in the house. Although it was located on the second floor, the battery wasn’t connected and it did not activate, officials said.

“Fire investigators determined the fire originated in a bedroom of the home. The cause of the fire is accidental as a result of improper disposal of smoking materials,” according to a Fire and Rescue press release.

The three displaced residents are receiving Red Cross assistance. The home has an estimated $18,75o in damages.

File photo

Recent Stories

Bicyclist crosses Wiehle Avenue in Reston at site of future bridge (staff photo by Jay Westcott) The weekend is almost here. Before the remnants of Hurricane Ian arrive or you…

11925 Triple Crown Road is one of eight houses in the 2022 Reston Home Tour (courtesy Reston Museum) Visitors will have a chance to step into an assortment of Reston…

Live Fairfax is a bi-weekly column exploring Fairfax County. This recurring column is sponsored and written by Sharmane Medaris of McEnearney Associates. Questions? Reach Sharmane at 813-504-4479. It’s that time of the year…

Fairfax County faces a marginal risk of flash flooding from Hurricane Ian (via NOAA) An October weekend once filled with fall events is starting to clear out, as Fairfax County…

×

Subscribe to our mailing list