Though that means getting together with family and friends for turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce, it also means closures across Reston and Fairfax County.
As a reminder, we’re taking the holiday off, too. We’ll be back with local news and events on Monday, Nov. 28.
Without further ado, here’s what’s closed around the area during Thanksgiving week:
- Reston Association offices and facilities, including the Nature House and Central Services facility, will be closed Thursday and Friday.
- Fairfax County government offices are also closed Thursday and Friday.
- Fairfax County Public Schools have a two-hour early release Wednesday leading into the holiday weekend. All schools are closed Thursday and Friday and normal schedules resume Monday.
County Libraries, Recreation Centers:
- Fairfax County public libraries are closed Thursday and Friday.
- All Fairfax County RECenters except George Washington are open at their normal time on Thursday and will close early at noon. George Washington RECenter will be closed on Thursday. All RECenters are open normal hours on Friday, except for Green Spring Gardens Historic House which is closed. Special hours for parks, historic sites, nature centers, visitors centers and the like are available on the county government website.
Reston Community Centers (RCC):
- RCC Hunters Woods is open Thursday from 9 a.m. to noon. The Terry L. Smith Aquatics Center is open from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. RCC Lake Anne is closed Thursday.
- On Friday, RCC Hunters Woods is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and the Aquatics Center is open 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. RCC Lake Anne is closed Friday.
Fairfax County Courts:
- Fairfax County Circuit Courts and General District Courts will close early at noon on Wednesday and will be closed Thursday and Friday. For Juvenile and Domestic Relations Courts, detention hearings will take place at 9 a.m. and court will close at noon on Wednesday; court will be closed Thursday and Friday.
- Metro will take a break from construction and rebuilding work from Thursday through Sunday for the holiday weekend.
- On Thursday, rail and bus services will run on a holiday schedule.
- For Metrorail, that means trains will run on a Sunday schedule, starting service at 7 a.m. and closing at midnight. Off-peak fares will be in effect all day, and parking will be free at all Metro-operated facilities.
- Metrobuses will also operate on a Sunday schedule, and riders should check their individual lines’ schedules for operating times.
- MetroAccess Paratransit service will operate during the same hours as Metrorail and Metrobus. Subscription trips will be cancelled on Thanksgiving Day unless the MetroAccess customer specifically requests to travel on the holiday.
- On Friday, all bus and rail systems will run on their usual weekday schedule with normal ride and parking fees in effect.
Connector Buses and Fastran:
- Fairfax Connector Buses: Buses will run a Sunday schedule on Thanksgiving Day, and a Holiday Weekday schedule for Friday. See details of all routes online.
- Fastran: All neighborhood and community service transportation programs will be closed Thursday and Friday.
Trash and Recycling:
- Residents should contact their individual service providers to find out their Thanksgiving week collection schedules. Information about various providers throughout the county are available on the government website.
Have a happy holiday!