Fairfax County Fire and Rescue says a house fire that caused an estimated $155,000 in damages was the result of improper disposal of fireplace ashes.
Units were dispatched to the blaze in the 12300 block of Myterra Way, just south of Reston, at about 1:20 a.m. Friday. Fire was showing from the basement and first floor of the two-level home.
Three adults and one juvenile were in the home at the time, and they all were able to get out before the fire department arrived. There were no reported injuries, and Red Cross assistance was declined.
According to investigators, the fire started under an elevated enclosed deck in the rear of the home. The fire was determined to be accidental, the result of the ignition of combustible materials due to improper disposal of fireplace ashes in a plastic container.
In a press release, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reminds residents to be cautious and keep safety in mind, offering these tips:
- Do not discard your ashes into any combustible container such as a paper or plastic bag, a cardboard box, or a plastic trash can.
- Do not place ash containers on/under decks, porches, or in garages.
- Put ashes into a non-combustible metal container with a lid and place it away from the house to cool.
- Pour water into the container to make sure the ashes are cool.
- Keep your can OUTSIDE and away from the home and away from your fireplace, wood stove and anything combustible.
- Teach all family members to be safe with ashes from your fireplace or stove.
The Herndon Metro station (staff photo by Jay Westcott) With the Silver Line Phase II opening still in flux, Fairfax County is being asked to pay another $40 million. At…
Route 7 has a new eastbound lane between Reston Avenue and Riva Ridge Drive (via VDOT) Drivers headed east on Route 7 in Reston can now get a small taste…
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue responded to a burned-up elevator motor at 226 Maple Avenue in Vienna on Saturday (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Metro Extends Blue Line Shutdown —…
Bicyclist crosses Wiehle Avenue in Reston at site of future bridge (staff photo by Jay Westcott) The weekend is almost here. Before the remnants of Hurricane Ian arrive or you…
The Ravel Dance Studio will re-open for fall classes 2020. The school will offer in person and virtual online instruction. With over 5000 sq. ft. to social distance the school has added air ionization filtration systems, ballet barres, acrylic dividers, hands free bathrooms, strict monitoring and more.
The Ravel Dance Studio will produce a Nutcracker Ballet Hollywood style video through the Reston Community CenterStage. REGISTRATION online begins August 17.
Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.
He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.