56°Overcast

Fire Sparked by Treadmill Causes Nearly $250K in Damages to Reston Home

by Dave Emke — April 20, 2017 at 11:15 am 12 Comments

A treadmill is being pinpointed as the cause of a blaze in a single-family residence in South Reston that caused nearly a quarter-million dollars in damages.

Units from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue responded to the scene of the blaze in the 2200 block of Marginella Drive, off Glade Drive, around 8:38 a.m. Wednesday.

From a Fairfax County Fire and Rescue press release:

“Units arrived on scene to find fire showing from the rear of a two-story, single family house. Firefighters went to work extinguishing a large volume of fire in the back of the home. They were able to bring the fire under control approximately ten minutes after arrival.”

One of the home’s occupants discovered the fire and called 911, fire officials report, after which smoke alarms in the home did activate. Both occupants of the home were able to get out safely.

Fire investigators say a treadmill in the home’s sunroom was the source of the blaze.

Damages as a result of the fire are estimated at $237,466, fire officials say. At the scene Thursday morning, most of the home’s windows are boarded up, as are doors and the garage. Insurance assessors were at the scene surveying the damage.

Photo at top courtesy Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

  • Mookie Taylor

    Is that Steve Austin’s house?

  • Arielle in NoVA

    Very curious to hear how a treadmill started a fire. Were the electronics faulty? Was the cord frayed? Was it left running, and something caught in the belt or the friction heated up something nearby?

    • The Constitutionalist

      Probably the same way any other electrical device starts a fire.

      It gets worn out, wet, or broken, and something shorts and lights up. The treadmill was most likely sitting on flammable carpet and that’s how it spread.

    • Jenny Gibbers

      Its more common than you think.

      I have a microwave that turns itself on and generates indecipherable error codes. Its possessed. I found it safer to leave it unplugged.

      In any case, a faulty circuit board can create all sorts if havoc. Proper home insurance may be the answer.

      • Greg

        Or, getting a new microwave.

        • Jenny Gibbers

          I was hoping to get an offer not a rejection. How about 50?

          • Greg

            Seeing as how we have to cook these days to save $4 to park to RTC, that’s not a bad price. I was thinking about a new one, but Tom. Maybe we should just pay to park?

            I definitely agree with getting the insurance tuned up.

        • Tom H

          we had a brand new Sharp microwave catch fire within about 2 months of a kitchen remodel. Had it replaced, however, dealing with Sharp was a pain in the but. Interestingly we were advised that Sharp makes all the insides of microwaves in the US market.

          • Greg

            Sorry about that — hope all worked out. Did you have to sue or did your insurance cover it?

  • Why do you bother?

    SEE – I KNEW exercise is a bad idea!

    • Mike M

      At the same time a beer stock has never been a fire hazard!

  • Chuck Morningwood

    My sympathies to the homeowner and residents. I hope this trauma passes quickly.

×

Subscribe to our mailing list