Reston Community Center is holding a three-day weekend to celebrate the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr. A complete breakdown of the weekend can be found here.
(Editor’s Note: This is just a limited list of all the events taking place in the Reston area this weekend. If you have an event you would like to ensure is listed on the website, be sure to submit it to our Events Calendar.)
- Paulina Peavy – A Message to Paulina: In this exhibit, Paulina Peavy’s work will be on display through Feb. 17 at Greater Reston Arts Center. Peavy gave up control of her brush to an alien entity named Locamo after attending a seance in 1932. Her work includes paintings, films and texts that she used to better channel Lacamo’s energy. A talk by GRACE’s executive director Lily Siegel is set for Saturday at 3 p.m. at the center.
- Scout high and low to spot nests and find holes where animals live on Saturday at the Walker Nature Center from 10:30-11:30 a.m. The program is designed for pre-school age children. Parents and caregivers must supervise their children.
- Join Miss Emily for singing story time with illustrated songs at Reston Regional Library from 10:30-11 a.m. on Saturday. The program is designed for pre-school age children.
- Participate in a one-hour session with a technology volunteer to master computer skills and receive Internet and ebook help. on Saturday at Reston Regional Library. The adults-only session will run from 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Hear from farmers on Sunday from 2-3:30 p.m. at Frying Pan Farm Park’s lectures series on agriculture in Virginia. Tickets are $10. Register online.
- Valerie Smith & Liberty Pike will perform on Sunday at 7 p.m. at Frying Pan Farm Park’s visitor center (2709 West Ox Road). The band’s work straddles the line between bluegrass, country and alternative music. Doors will open at 6 p.m. Purchase $18 tickets online. The performance is part of the park’s Sunday evening bluegrass concert series.
Reston Association headquarters (staff photo by Jay Westcott) Reston Association has adopted a new strategic plan that aims to continue the vision of Reston’s founder Bob Simon over the next…
Stagnant wages. Eleven-hour work days with barely enough break time for a meal. Just seven days of sick leave, even after a pandemic that research suggests sickened and killed transit…
FCPS Central Office in Merrifield (staff photo by James Jarvis) Fairfax County Public Schools is seeking a solution to its ballooning student meal debt, which soared over the past year….
A turkey vulture in flight in the West Ox Road area (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Cell Phone Service Restored After Outage — Phone service has been restored after a…