(Editor’s Note: This is just a limited list of all the events taking place in the Reston area this weekend. If you have an event you would like to ensure is listed on the website, be sure to submit it to our Events Calendar.)
- Does your kid want to learn how to fish? Then take them to the Kids Trout Fishing Derby on Saturday from 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. The event will meet at the Herndon Police Station on the Sugarland Run Trail.
- Support your neighbors and the environment by attending the Spring Flea Market on Saturday from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. at the RCC Hunter Woods. Who knows, maybe you’ll find some treasure along the way!
- Need some more books for your kids? Check out the City of Fairfax Library Friends Spring Children’s Book Sale running from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. on Saturday at the City of Fairfax Regional Library.
- Curious about how 3D printing works? Check out the ongoing demonstrations all day of a MakerBot Replicator Mini 3D Printer at the Centreville Regional Library on Saturday.
- Author Laura Murray will be at Scrawl Books to read and sign her children’s book The Gingerbread Man and the Leprechaun Loose at School. The event will be on Saturday from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Watch the free screening of “How Sweet the Sound – The Blind Boys of Alabama” as a part of the ReelAbilities Film Festival. The screening will be on Sunday at the CenterStage from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Take a run in the 5th annual Ice Breaker 5k race in Herndon on Sunday. The race will start at 8 a.m. at 200 Spring Street.
- Learn about the Jewish holiday Passover over PJ Library stories about the holiday and then braid challah dough at Whole Foods Market on Sunday from 10-11 a.m.
- Attend a lecture series at Frying Pan Park about local farmers and how you can support them. The series is on Sunday from 2-3:30 p.m. and costs $10 for attendees.
- Get your groove on at the Sunday Afternoon Dance at RCC Hunter Woods where you can foxtrot, swing, cha-cha and waltz. The event will be from 2:30-4:30 p.m. and tickets cost $5 for Reston Association members and $10 for non-members.
- Not up for a waltz? Then give Sunday Country Western Dance a shot instead. You will be able to line dance, two-step, shuffle and swing your way through country and Western tunes at the RCC Hunter Woods from 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tickets cost $5 for Reston Association members and $10 for non-members.
- Fan of acoustic music? Then you might want to check out the Sterling/Reston Acoustic Jam on Sunday at 5:30 p.m. at the Cafe Montmarte.
- Grab your skates and get on the ice rink one last time before the ice skating rink in Reston Town Center closes for the season on Sunday at 7 p.m.
- Come see the Darrell Webb Band as a part of the Bluegrass Barn series at the Frying Pan Park’s Visitor Center. The show is on Sunday at 7 p.m. and tickets cost $18 in advance and $20 at the door.
Flickr pool photo by vantagehill
The weekend is almost here. Before you crank up the air-conditioning, or head to bed for some much-needed sleep, let’s revisit the past week of news in Fairfax County. Here are…
The proposed redevelopment of an aging Residence Inn in the Town of Herndon is barreling toward a final approval before the Herndon Town Council this month. The property owner, identified…
Clyde’s of Reston, an American bar and restaurant, will permanently close its doors tomorrow, ending 31 years of business in Reston Town Center. But even as it auctions off iconic…
A Japanese maple tree on Church Street in Vienna (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Heat Raises Risk for Outdoor Activities — “The National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a special weather statement…