In Herndon House Fire, Glitchy Laptop Causes Nearly $94,000 in Damages

A glitchy laptop caught fire on Monday and caused $93,750 in damages to a Herndon home, according to the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department.

The fire happened on Monday (Oct. 15) just before 1 p.m. on the 13100 block of Weather Vane Way in Herndon. Fire and rescue crews extinguished the fire, which started in a bedroom on the second floor of the two-story, single-family home. Damages were limited to the bedroom and no one was injured, according to the department.

One adult was home at the time of the fire. When she smelled smoke and heard crackling noises, she discovered a fire on the top of the bedroom’s bed.

Fire department officials said the fire was “accidental in nature.” Three adults were displaced because of the incident. Red Cross assistance was declined.

Photos via Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department

Recent Stories

Columbia Associates is opening a new mental health clinic in Reston (courtesy Columbia Associates) A mental health facility has opened its doors in Reston, promising to help both clients and…

Live Fairfax: Fava Pot

Live Fairfax is a bi-weekly column exploring Fairfax County. This recurring column is sponsored and written by Sharmane Medaris of McEnearney Associates. Questions? Reach Sharmane at 813-504-4479. Have you explored the culinary treasure…

The plan for a major residential neighborhood near the Innovation Center Metro station in the Herndon area is evolving. But the tweak won’t be approved by the Fairfax County Planning…

EVgo electric vehicle chargers (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) To further its environmental goals, Fairfax County’s to-do list should include building an electric vehicle charging network, addressing “critical” staff shortages,…

×

Subscribe to our mailing list