A fire broke out in a Reston townhouse on Sunday evening after an electrical malfunction with the wiring leading to a ceiling heat lamp fixture in the bathroom.
The four people in the house saw smoke appear from a vent in the bathroom, shortly after 8:35 p.m. on Dec. 9, according to Fairfax County Fire and Rescue.
Firefighters extinguished the fire, which had spread to the walls and the attic, but because of the damage, the four people were not able to stay in the house.
More from a fire department press release:
On Sunday, December 9, at approximately 8:35 p.m., units were dispatched for a reported townhouse fire in the 11100 block of Saffold Way in the Reston area of Fairfax County.
Units arrived on scene of a two-story, middle unit townhouse and observed fire showing from a vent in the roof. Crews entered the home and quickly located a fire in the walls and attic. The fire was extinguished. There were no reported civilian or firefighter injuries.
Four occupants were in the home at the time of the fire. The occupants called 9-1-1 when they saw smoke coming from a vent in the bathroom. Smoke alarms were present but did not activate due to the location of the fire. The occupants safely self-evacuated prior to fire department arrival.
Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in the attic space above a second-floor bathroom. The cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction with the wiring circuitry to a ceiling heat lamp fixture in the bathroom.
Four occupants were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and accepted. Damage as a result of the fire is estimated to be $92,500.
Map via Google Maps
The widening of Elden Street from four to six lanes — a roughly $40.6 million project — is expected to begin in late 2022. The Virginia Department of Transportation plans…
A local mental health practice is on the move. Dr. Goldberg & Associates plans to open move into a larger location by Nov. 1, a business representative tells Reston Now….
Thank you for subscribing and your continued support of local news.
A Food Lion in Herndon (via Google Maps) Fairfax County’s new plastic bag tax, set to take effect on Jan. 1, drew both support and opposition from the supermarket industry….