Malfunctioning Extension Cord Sparks Reston House Fire on Sunday

A malfunction with an extension cord caused a fire at a Reston home during the afternoon on Sunday (Jan. 20).

Firefighters saw smoke showing from the front of a two-story, single family home after they arrived around 1:24 p.m. to the 2000 block of Beacon Place, according to Fairfax County Fire and Rescue.

The firefighters “quickly extinguished a fire in the garage area,” according to the post. Fire investigators determined the fire started by accident when a malfunctioning extension cord “ignited ordinary combustibles in close proximity.”

One person inside the home discovered the fire in the attached garage after smelling smoke inside the home, followed by the smoke alarms going off.

The two people inside the home at the time of the fire were able to self-evacuate unharmed before the fire department arrived.

Damages from the fire cost approximately $25,000.

Map via Google Maps. Images via Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

Recent Stories

Owners of six Woofie’s franchises in Northern Virginia are hosting a “Paws in the Park” pet adoption event tomorrow (Saturday) at Wolf Trap National Park. Participating Woofie’s include Reston/Herndon, Ashburn-Leesburg,…

A Fairfax Connector bus to Tysons (staff photo by James Jarvis) The Fairfax County Department of Transportation (FCDOT) has the green light to apply for a federal grant to replace…

Morning Notes

The splash pad at the Mosaic District in Merrifield has been turned on (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Congress Approves More National Airport Flights — “More long-haul flights are coming…

Fairfax County’s annual Summer Entertainment Series will kick off on June 1 (via Fairfax County Park Authority/Twitter) The Fairfax County Park Authority has composed a slate of summer shows, including…

×

Subscribe to our mailing list