Herndon Apartment Fire Caused By Improperly Discarded Smoking Items

A Herndon apartment fire that displaced 20 people was caused by improperly discarded smoking items, investigators said.

The fire happened on the fourth floor of an apartment building on the 2400 block of Masons Ferry Drive on Sunday (Sept. 29) at around 7:50 p.m, according to the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department.

No firefighter or civilian injuries were reported. The fire caused $76,000 in damages

So far, county fire and rescue personnel said improperly discarded smoking materials caused nearly $2.2 million in damages this year.

So far, there have been 30 major incidents in the county, causing one death and one burn injury.

FRFRD launched a public campaign, “Got to Smoke? Sink It or Soak It?” to remind residents to properly dispose of smoking materials.

Photo by Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department

Recent Stories

(Updated at 4:15 p.m.) A redevelopment proposal for nearly 9-acre parcel of land near Lake Fairfax Park is headed for a vote before the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors this…

Electric buses have at last joined Northern Virginia’s largest local bus fleet. Fairfax Connector launched the eight battery-powered vehicles out of its West Ox Operations and Maintenance Center (4970 Alliance…

Reston Association (staff photo by Jay Westcott) Reston Association’s Board of Directors has a new vacancy. Mike Collins — who represents apartment owners within RA’s membership — resigned Friday (Sept….

Morning Notes

A belated Mosaic Fall Festival, postponed by rain, takes over Strawberry Park on Saturday, Sept. 30 (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Metro Still Recovering From Derailment Near National Airport — “Most…

×

Subscribe to our mailing list