Reston Apartment Fire Caused by Unattended Candle

A fire at an apartment building on Greywing Square was caused by an unattended candle, according to fire investigators.

Roughly 25 people were in the building on the 12000 block of Greywing Square when fire and rescue personnel arrived on the scene on Tuesday (Nov. 5) at around 4:09 p.m.

The fire started in the living room of an apartment unit and spread to the unit directly below. Three residents were displaced as a result of the fire. Residents in the apartment unit where the fire started were not home at the time.

The incident caused roughly $25,000 in damages.

The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department is reminding residents to take the following precautions when lighting a candle:

  • Never leave burning candles unattended
  • Keep all combustible materials away from open flames
  • Do not burn candles near windows or doorways
  • Place candles in glass or ceramic containers
  • Place candles on a flat, sturdy non-combustible surface
  • Never leave candles burning when children or pets are present

Recent Stories

Information on reproductive rights resources will be posted to the Fairfax County website in light of the Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade. Last week’s decision leaves it…

After a two-year hiatus, the Lake Anne Cardboard Regatta will return to Reston on Aug. 13. The race, which is organized by the Reston Museum, will feature more than 50…

The oncoming train of the Silver Line extension is spurring a major planning initiative within the Town of Herndon. With the Herndon-Monroe Metro station expected to begin service in the…

Morning Notes

A mural on the side of the Quality Inn on Fordson Road in Groveton (staff photo by Brandi Bottalico) Motorcyclist Dies Falling from I-495 — “An Alexandria motorcyclist was killed…

×

Subscribe to our mailing list