Fairfax County fire investigators say that the auto-ignition of cooking oil caused a house fire in the Town of Herndon on Jan. 1.
The fire broke out around 2:44 a.m. in the 1400 block of Cuttermill Court. The incident caused roughly $93,750 in damages, according to the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department. The fire was caused by cooking oil that spread to nearby combustibles in the kitchen.
Three people were at home when the fire broke out. No injuries were reported.
Fire and rescue officials urge residents to ensure smoke detectors are working inside homes. In this incident, residents were awakened by the sound of a smoke alarm.
“The firefighters and paramedics of the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue would like to remind all residents that half of all fire deaths happen between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. when most people are asleep. Working smoke alarms save lives.”