Roughly 1,400 individuals contributed 6,900 hours of volunteer time to community projects last year, according to the website. The RA chose to recognize several individuals for their work in 2019 with the annual Reston Service Awards.
Instead of an in-person reception due to concerns over COVID19, the RA said it will celebrate award winners by highlighting their “outstanding” work on social media accounts and electronic campaigns.
All of the winners are a part of Volunteer Reston. “The mission of Volunteer Reston is to enhance Reston Association’s services and programs by matching the talents of individuals and groups of all ages, interests and skills to a variety of engaging projects and endeavors,” the website said.
Detailed bios of award winners can be found online.
Individual award winners include:
- Surekha Sridhar for Volunteer of the Year
- Kevin Alegre for Youth Volunteer of the Year
- Susan Beffel and Irwin Flashman for Volunteers Over 55
Group award winners include:
- George Mason University Social Action and Integrative Learning (SAIL) for Group Volunteers of the Year
- The Bike Lane for Community Partner of the Year
- Lakes, Docks and Boats Working Group for Work Group of the Year
“Volunteerism is deeply rooted in Reston’s history and was one of the core principles of Reston founder Robert E. Simon Jr.,” the RA press release said.
Photo via Reston Association