Several local businesses and restaurants have laid off workers due to COVID-19 pandemic in recent months.
Businesses filed notices through the Virginia Employment Commission, which requires businesses with more than 100 employees to provide advanced notice of layoffs affecting more than 50 employees or business closings.
In Reston and Herndon, six businesses filed notices, totaling more than 450 layoffs.
Nearly all notices filed with the VEC were attributed to the pandemic. The following is a breakdown of major layoffs since March 1 through today:
- Hyatt Regency (1800 Presidents Street): 88 workers
- The Westin at Reston Heights (11750 Sunrise Valley Drive): 32
- Barcelona Wine Bar (12023 Town Square Street): 66
- Jackson’s Mighty Fine Food and Luck Lounge (11927 Democracy Drive): 137
- BridgeStreet Corporate Housing (1180 Sunrise Valley Drive): 68
Bartaco let go of 175 employees across its Fairfax and Reston locations.
Photo by Chris Gordon/Flickr