Seven residents have been displaced following a house fire on the 1400 block of Bayshire Lane in the Town of Herndon on Oct. 18.
Fire investigators ruled that the fire in the single-family home was caused by an unattended candle. Information about the incident was released today (Monday). The c candle was left burning in the master bathroom, according to the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department.
Fire and rescue crews from the FCFRD, Loudoun County Fire and Rescue Department and the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Fire and Rescue Department responded to the scene a few minutes before 1:30 a.m. that day.
The incident caused roughly $93,750 in damages. Seven people were at home when the fire began. No injuries were reported.
FCFRD is reminding residents of the following safety tips:
- Never leave burning candles unattended
- Keep all combustible materials away from open flames
- Do not burn candles near windows or doorways
- Place candles in glass or ceramic containers
- Place candles on a flat, sturdy non-combustible surface
- Never leave candles burning when children or pets are present