Herndon residents looking to clean out old documents, magazines, and other assorted papers will soon have a convenient opportunity to do so, courtesy of Herndon Senior Center.
The senior center at 873 Grace Street will host a free community paper-shredding event on May 8 from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The event is being organized in partnership with the nonprofit Herndon Village Network and the independent living facility Herndon Harbor House.
Herndon Village Network, which provides free transportation to senior citizens in the Herndon area, shared instructions for the upcoming event in a press release issued yesterday (Tuesday):
- Don your face mask and place items to be shredded into disposable, cardboard boxes. You don’t need to remove staples.
- Put the boxes into the trunk of your car.
- Drive to Park Avenue, and, from Park Avenue, turn onto Jorss Place.
- Turn left into the Herndon Harbor House parking lot, where cars will line up for the shred event.
- Stay in your car and follow directions from volunteers. Traffic flow will eventually take you into the Herndon Senior Center parking lot, where the shred truck will be parked.
- When it’s your turn, put your car in park, stay in your car, and pop your trunk. Someone will remove your items for the shredder.
- Exit the Herndon Senior Center parking lot as directed by volunteers.
Residents can also get rid of large, non-paper-based items later this month at the Town of Herndon’s annual spring clean-up, which will take place on April 21-23 this year.
Photo via Google Maps