Monday, August 9
- Katherine Johnson StoryWalk — In honor of the newly-named middle school, students are invited to walk around the City of Fairfax reading pages from books displayed in business storefront windows. There are two walks: one in Old Town Fairfax for younger readers, and one in Fair City Mall for more advanced readers. There’s even a chance to win a gift card to a local business.
Tuesday, August 10
- Sunset Parade (6:30 p.m.) — Throughout the summer, the Silent Drill Platoon has performed a parade every Tuesday night at the Marine Corps War Memorial in Arlington. This week’s parade is the final one for the summer, so get there while you can.
Wednesday, August 11
- Clem Snide (7:30 p.m.) — First coming together in the early 1990s and known as the band behind the theme song of the NBC show “Ed,” Clem Snide has become a critical and fan favorite. They’ll be performing new and old music at Vienna’s Jammin Java.
Thursday, August 12
- The 400-Year Struggle for Black Equality (11 a.m.-4 p.m.) — From the Virginia History & Culture Museum, this new traveling exhibit now on display at the Fairfax Museum highlights the four-century long struggle for equality for Black Americans.
Friday, August 13
- US Navy Band Commodores (6:30 p.m.) — The summer season is almost over, so check out the last “summer on the green” performance in the town of Vienna by the US Navy Band Commodores.
- Nora Palka & Nathan Ellman-Bell (7:30 p.m.) — Bring a picnic to Falls Church’s Cherry Hill Park for an evening with Helen Hayes award-winner Nora Palka as she sings with her partner Nathan Ellman-Bell.
Saturday, August 14
- Dog Paddle (9:00 a.m.) — Bring the pup out for a morning swim at Reston’s Autumnwood Recreation Area, which has closed to humans for the season. The wading area is reserved for small dogs under 20 pounds.
- Catastrophe (11:00 a.m.) — In honor of the new kid’s book “CATastrophe,” Dr. Elizabeth and a purrrfect guest from Just Cats Clinic at Lake Anne will be on hand for this in-person event at Scrawl Books in Reston.
- Floral Design Workshop (1:00 p.m.) — Design a summer flower arrangement with assistance from certified floral designer Betty Ann Galway. It will take place at Green Springs Garden and supplies will be provided at cost.
Sunday, August 15
- One Loudoun Carnival (3-10 p.m.) — The carnival is back at One Loudoun with food, rides, games, and performances. The carnival is taking place from Aug. 11 to 22.
Photo via Prachya Singhto/Wikimedia Commons
Clouds loom over the Tysons Metro station (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Fare-Free Connector to Metrorail Transfers Start Tomorrow — “To continue to improve transit service in Fairfax County, the…
Students wear and wave Pride flags at Fairfax High School’s walkout (photo by Carys Owens) Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chairman Jeff McKay believes the county will be on “safe…
The anticipated groundbreaking is officially on pause (via Comstock) The redevelopment of downtown Herndon by Reston-based developer Comstock has been officially been put on pause. But Fairfax County’s commitment to…
Your new physical therapy and sports rehab experts in Tysons Corner. Rehab 2 Perform is bringing their fitness focused physical therapy company to Tysons Corner! R2P serves the community with…