BREAKING: Two in critical condition, others injured after Herndon apartment fire

(Updated at 9:28 a.m.) Two residents have suffered life threatening injuries and seven others were taken to a local hospital after a fire broke out at garden apartments on Park Avenue in the Town of Herndon at around 6:30 p.m. on Thursday.

Eleven apartment units on the 800 block of Park Avenue are considered uninhabitable and 44 residents were displaced. 

The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department described a dire scene at the site of the fire. A mother and three young children evacuated one unit by tying bedsheets together to make a makeshift rope.

Occupants jumped out of third story windows above the second floor unit where the fire initially started.

One rescue crew rescued three residents via a ladder. The four occupants in the apartment where the fire started self-evacuated safely.

The Herndon Police Department advised that a lengthy closure between Station and Grace streets was expected. The area opened up several hours after the incident.

The fire was caused by an electrical event involving a charger cable, according to the fire department.

Damages amount to $287,500. There were no working fire alarms in the building where the fire started.

Photo via Herndon Police Department

Recent Stories

With a second week of consistently declining cases, Fairfax County’s current, omicron variant-fueled Covid wave has receded closer to the levels seen last winter. The Fairfax Health District, including the…

The Director of National Intelligence issued new guidance for federal employees regarding usage of CBD products, marijuana and investments in marijuana and is discussed in Legal Insider this week.

The weekly planner is a roundup of interesting events over the next week in the Herndon and Reston area. We’ve searched the web for events of note. Want to submit…

Fairfax County Public Schools and six other school divisions, most of them in Northern Virginia, have sued to stop Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s order that makes face masks optional in schools….

×

Subscribe to our mailing list