The 11th annual Lake Anne Jazz & Blues Festival will hit the plaza Saturday, Sept. 2. The lineup of musicians for the festival includes many well-known names in the local music community. The eight hours of music will include performances by Cheick Hamala Dibaté, Sam Gunderson, John Lee & Michael Pavone, Integriti Reeves, Mykle Lyons (sextet), Gigi MacClaughlin, Kriss Funn and Crush Funk Brass.
The free event is slated for 1-9 p.m. and will be held rain or shine. For updates, follow Lake Anne Plaza’s Facebook page.
Sponsors of the event include the Lane Anne Merchants, Friends of Lake Anne, Reston Community Center, Reston Association and Aperture Reston Station.
There will be an unofficial kickoff to the festival Thursday, Aug. 31 during the plaza’s “Take A Break” concert series. Uptown Vocal Jazz Quartet will perform during that event.
Lake Anne Jazz Week (Aug. 30 to Sept. 5) will feature a variety of jazz-themed events, including live music, merchant activities, an outdoor movie and, of course, the Jazz & Blues Festival.
The Jazz & Blues Festival is a free, family friendly, all-day event on Sept. 5 from 1 to 8 p.m. It will showcase a variety of talented regional and national jazz & blues artists.
Here’s what the rest of Jazz Week will include:
- Aug. 30 (sundown) – Summer Film Festival Series Movie “Jazz on a Summer’s Day” (1959 Classic)
- Sept. 1 (7-10 p.m.) – The Red Tree Solo (Café Montmartre)
- Sept. 1 (8 p.m.) – Jazz Trivia Night (Kalypso’s Sports Tavern)
- Sept. 1 (6-9 p.m.) – Mykle Lyons Trio (Plaza)
- Sept. 2 (8-10 p.m.) – The Caterpillars Duet (Café Montmartre)
- Sept. 2 (9:30 p.m.) – Jazz Karaoke Night (Kalypso’s Sports Tavern)
- Sept. 3 (7-9 p.m.) – Take A Break Concert Series featuring the Chris Vadala Quartet (Plaza)
- Sept. 4 (7:30-10:30 p.m.) – Cabernet (Café Montmartre)
- Sept. 4 (6:30-8:30 p.m.) – The Jason Kearse Trio (Plaza)
- Sept. 5 (9:30 p.m.) – Post Festival Late Night with Sam Gunderson (Kalypso’s Sports Tavern)
- Chesapeake Chocolates – Special Edition chocolate musical notes and instruments. Wine Tasting, Sept. 3, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- Reston’s Used Book Shop – 50 percent off all books about music
- Small Change Kids Consignment Shop – Melissa & Doug musical toys 50 percent off
- The Reston Museum – Music sale on local jazz performers Beverly Cosham, Menda Ahart and Felicia Crowley
Jazz & Blues Festival, Sept. 5
Adrian Duke is this year’s headliner. Duke leads the New Orleans sounds of the Adrian Duke Project. Although he has found a home as a Blues artist, by blurring the lines between Blues, Funk, R&B, and Jazz, he has found critical acclaim, audience acceptance, and artistic peer recognition.
- 1:00 p.m. – Ted Garber
- 2:00 p.m. – Cissa Paz
- 3:00 p.m. – Integriti Reeves
- 4:00 p.m. – Nia Olabesi
- 5:00 p.m. – Mykle Lyons
- 6:00 p.m. – Texas Chainsaw
- 7:00 p.m. – Adrian Duke
The festival is sponsored by Lane Anne Merchants, Friends of Lake Anne, the Reston Community Center, and Reston Association. For the full schedule of events/times, visit www.lakeanneplaza.com.