South Lakes High School’s Varsity Swim and Dive teams split the victory the meet with Thomas Jefferson High School Friday at Herndon Community Center. The girls won 174-144; the boys lost 211-94.
South Lakes girls started strong by winning the first four events. The 200 yard medley relay team of Natalie Obando, Megan Carney, Sabrina Groves, and Emily Landeryou won. Landeryou also won the 200 yard freestyle. Obando won the 200 yard Individual Medley and Sasha Avilov won the 50 yard free.
- A sweep of the 100 yard freestyle by Landeryou (first) Groves (second), and Malina Stassinos (third); and the 100 yard breaststroke by Groves (first), Carney (second), and Kaylyn Macaluso (third).
- A first-place finish by Obando in the 100 yard backstroke.
- A one-two finish for Avilov (first) and Stassinos in the 50 yard free.
- A win for the 400 yard freestyle relay team of Landeryou, Stassinos, Madeleine Daum, and Obando.
- The South Lakes boys’ 200 yard freestyle relay team continued its winning streak with a win for Tyler Hutson, Tyler Ellis, Gianmichel D’Allesandro, and Dylan Hawley.
South Lakes returns to the pool at 7 p.m. Friday to take on Langley High School at Spring Hill RECenter.
Indoor Track and Field
South Lakes High School senior Daniel Johnsen ran a season-best 1:06.17 in the 500 meters and anchored the state qualifying 4×400 meter relay team at the Flames Invitational meet Jan. 10-11 at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA.
It was SLHS’ last invitational meet before the 6A Conference 6 championships, which begin Jan. 24.
Johnsen’s time in the 500 is the second-best in the state this season. He teamed with fellow seniors Michael Kerr, Khayri Denny and junior Sam Arpee in the relay. Along with the state qualifying performances, SLHS also had 13 new district qualifying performances and one regional:
- Girls 300 meters: senior Grace Gillen (43.81), sophomore Golden Kumi-Darfour (43.64), juniors Delaney Wickman (41.43 regional), Jordan Lozama (44.23), freshman Devyn Jones (44.77)
- Girls 500 meters: juniors Delaney Wickman (1:19.47), Sabrina Muldrow (1:26.09), Molly McGrath (1:26.38)
- Girls 1,000 meters: Kumi-Darfour (3:07.94), junior Gabrielle Acosta (3:16.14)
- Boys 55 meter: freshman Timiebi Ogobri (6.98)
- Boys 1,000 meters: junior Collin Weirick (2:46.46), sophomore John Leberre (2:47.64)
- Boys long jump: senior Anthony Mayo (19-1.75)
— Submitted by Lyn Cordts and Valerie Lister; Photo by Mark Majoros. Have sports scores to report from Herndon or South Lakes High Schools? Send them to [email protected].
A new report reveals that there’s significant disagreement between the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) and its contractor, Capital Rail Constructors (CRC), about when Silver Line Phase 2 is expected…
(Updated at 2:30 p.m.) The Fairfax County Courthouse is renewing its mask policy once again even as the judicial system tries to inch back to normal amid a backlog of…
Thank you for subscribing and your continued support of local news.
Two Fairfax County organizations have been awarded grants from a national nonprofit aimed at increasing access for food service programs for children and their families. The Falls Church-McLean Children’s Center…