South Lakes High School’s Varsity Swim and Dive teams split the victory the meet with Thomas Jefferson High School Friday at Herndon Community Center. The girls won 174-144; the boys lost 211-94.
South Lakes girls started strong by winning the first four events. The 200 yard medley relay team of Natalie Obando, Megan Carney, Sabrina Groves, and Emily Landeryou won. Landeryou also won the 200 yard freestyle. Obando won the 200 yard Individual Medley and Sasha Avilov won the 50 yard free.
- A sweep of the 100 yard freestyle by Landeryou (first) Groves (second), and Malina Stassinos (third); and the 100 yard breaststroke by Groves (first), Carney (second), and Kaylyn Macaluso (third).
- A first-place finish by Obando in the 100 yard backstroke.
- A one-two finish for Avilov (first) and Stassinos in the 50 yard free.
- A win for the 400 yard freestyle relay team of Landeryou, Stassinos, Madeleine Daum, and Obando.
- The South Lakes boys’ 200 yard freestyle relay team continued its winning streak with a win for Tyler Hutson, Tyler Ellis, Gianmichel D’Allesandro, and Dylan Hawley.
South Lakes returns to the pool at 7 p.m. Friday to take on Langley High School at Spring Hill RECenter.
Indoor Track and Field
South Lakes High School senior Daniel Johnsen ran a season-best 1:06.17 in the 500 meters and anchored the state qualifying 4×400 meter relay team at the Flames Invitational meet Jan. 10-11 at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA.
It was SLHS’ last invitational meet before the 6A Conference 6 championships, which begin Jan. 24.
Johnsen’s time in the 500 is the second-best in the state this season. He teamed with fellow seniors Michael Kerr, Khayri Denny and junior Sam Arpee in the relay. Along with the state qualifying performances, SLHS also had 13 new district qualifying performances and one regional:
- Girls 300 meters: senior Grace Gillen (43.81), sophomore Golden Kumi-Darfour (43.64), juniors Delaney Wickman (41.43 regional), Jordan Lozama (44.23), freshman Devyn Jones (44.77)
- Girls 500 meters: juniors Delaney Wickman (1:19.47), Sabrina Muldrow (1:26.09), Molly McGrath (1:26.38)
- Girls 1,000 meters: Kumi-Darfour (3:07.94), junior Gabrielle Acosta (3:16.14)
- Boys 55 meter: freshman Timiebi Ogobri (6.98)
- Boys 1,000 meters: junior Collin Weirick (2:46.46), sophomore John Leberre (2:47.64)
- Boys long jump: senior Anthony Mayo (19-1.75)
— Submitted by Lyn Cordts and Valerie Lister; Photo by Mark Majoros. Have sports scores to report from Herndon or South Lakes High Schools? Send them to [email protected].
The Kensington Reston Open House Weekend Spring is in full bloom and we’re celebrating the sunshine! Join us for our Open House Weekend at The Kensington Reston for a peek…
The weekend is almost here. Before you hop on a bicycle and hit the nearest trail, or head to bed for some much-needed sleep, let’s revisit the past week of news…
A new business has opened up shop at Comstock’s Reston Station plaza near the Wiehle-Reston Metro Station. Scissors & Scotch opened in mid-April, bringing grooming services and a fully-stocked bars…
Fairfax County Public Schools didn’t get all the money it wanted, but its next budget still has room to address some key priorities, including staff compensation and efforts to reduce…