South Lakes High School had strong performances by individual swimmers, but both teams were defeated by Langley High School in a dual swim meet on Friday at Spring Hill Rec Center.
The Saxon girls defeated the Seahawks 174-140. The Langley boys topped South Lakes 164-130.
Individual highlights for South Lakes included:
• Emily Landeryou achieved two Regionals qualifying times with second-place finishes in 200 yard Individual Medley and 500 yard Freestyle.
• Sabrina Groves achieved a Regionals qualifying time with a second-place finish in 100 yard Butterfly.
• A one-two finish for Sasha Avilov (first) and Madeleine Daum in the 50 yard Freestyle.
• A win for the 200 Freestyle Relay team of Groves, Avilov, Kaylyn Macaluso, and Malina Stassinos.
• A first place finish for the 200 Medley Relay team of Johnny Micka, Benjamin Gryski, Mac Sogandares, and Tyler Hutson.
• A win for Gryski in the 200 Individual Medley.
• A one-two finish for Tyler Ellis (first) and Dylan Hawley in the 100 Butterfly.
• First place finishes for Sogandares in the 100 Freestyle and 100 Breaststroke.
• Wins for Bradley Torrington in the 500 Freestyle, and Johnny Micka in 200 Backstroke.
South Lakes swimmers meet McLean at 7 p.m. Friday at Spring Hill.
Girls basketball — The Seahawks are 13-1 and ranked No. 6 by The Washington Post in this week’s poll. Tuesday’s game against McLean was postponed due to the snow day. The girls host Washington-Lee Friday at 7:30 p.m.
The team has won five games in a row, including a 66-44 victory over Langley last Friday in which four players scored in double figures. The girls followed that win with a 67-6 1 victory over Franklin County Saturday. That game was part of the 2014 STAT VA Classic in Richmond, a tournament for the top finishers in Virginia last season.
South Lakes swim photo courtesy David Cordts