South Lakes High School had strong performances by individual swimmers, but both teams were defeated by Langley High School in a dual swim meet on Friday at Spring Hill Rec Center.
The Saxon girls defeated the Seahawks 174-140. The Langley boys topped South Lakes 164-130.
Individual highlights for South Lakes included:
• Emily Landeryou achieved two Regionals qualifying times with second-place finishes in 200 yard Individual Medley and 500 yard Freestyle.
• Sabrina Groves achieved a Regionals qualifying time with a second-place finish in 100 yard Butterfly.
• A one-two finish for Sasha Avilov (first) and Madeleine Daum in the 50 yard Freestyle.
• A win for the 200 Freestyle Relay team of Groves, Avilov, Kaylyn Macaluso, and Malina Stassinos.
• A first place finish for the 200 Medley Relay team of Johnny Micka, Benjamin Gryski, Mac Sogandares, and Tyler Hutson.
• A win for Gryski in the 200 Individual Medley.
• A one-two finish for Tyler Ellis (first) and Dylan Hawley in the 100 Butterfly.
• First place finishes for Sogandares in the 100 Freestyle and 100 Breaststroke.
• Wins for Bradley Torrington in the 500 Freestyle, and Johnny Micka in 200 Backstroke.
South Lakes swimmers meet McLean at 7 p.m. Friday at Spring Hill.
Girls basketball — The Seahawks are 13-1 and ranked No. 6 by The Washington Post in this week’s poll. Tuesday’s game against McLean was postponed due to the snow day. The girls host Washington-Lee Friday at 7:30 p.m.
The team has won five games in a row, including a 66-44 victory over Langley last Friday in which four players scored in double figures. The girls followed that win with a 67-6 1 victory over Franklin County Saturday. That game was part of the 2014 STAT VA Classic in Richmond, a tournament for the top finishers in Virginia last season.
South Lakes swim photo courtesy David Cordts
Information on reproductive rights resources will be posted to the Fairfax County website in light of the Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade. Last week’s decision leaves it…
After a two-year hiatus, the Lake Anne Cardboard Regatta will return to Reston on Aug. 13. The race, which is organized by the Reston Museum, will feature more than 50…
The oncoming train of the Silver Line extension is spurring a major planning initiative within the Town of Herndon. With the Herndon-Monroe Metro station expected to begin service in the…
A mural on the side of the Quality Inn on Fordson Road in Groveton (staff photo by Brandi Bottalico) Motorcyclist Dies Falling from I-495 — “An Alexandria motorcyclist was killed…