South Lakes High School’s swim team had several event winners, but it was not enough to overcome McLean on Friday at Spring Hill RECenter. The Highlander girls edged the Seahawks 160-155; the boys topped SLHS 165-140.
South Lakes started the meet with both the girls and boys winning the first two events. In the 200 yard Medley Relay, Johnny Micka, Benjamin Gryski, Mac Sogandares, and Tyler Hutson won for the boys. Natalie Obando, Megan Carney, Sabrina Groves, and Sasha Avilov won for the girls. In the 200 yard Freestyle, freshmen Tyler Ellis for the boys and Emily Landeryou for the girls both won, with a Regionals-qualifying time for Landeryou.
Additional highlights for South Lakes included:
• A sweep of the 50 yard Freestyle event for the girls with first- through fourth-place finishes for Malina Stassinos (first), Avilov (second), Madeleine Daum (third), and Kaylyn Macaluso (fourth).
• A sweep of the 100 yard Butterfly for the boys with first- through third-place finishes for Sogandares (first, with a Regionals-qualifying time), Ellis (second), and Micka (third).
• A one-two finish in the 500 yard Freestyle for Joseph Hosi (first) and Bradley Torrington (second).
• A first-place finish for the girls 200 yard Freestyle Relay team of Landeryou, Macaluso, Daum, and Avilov.
• A one-two finish in the 100 yard Backstroke for Natalie Obando (first, with a Regionals-qualifying time), and Landeryou (second).
• Sogandares achieved a Regionals-qualifying time with a second-place finish in the 100 yard Breast Stroke.
• A one-two finish for the girls 400 yard Freestyle Relay teams, with the team of Groves, Caitlyn King, Daum, and Landeryou winning first, and Stassinos, Katie Lee, Macaluso, and Obando coming in second.
• A first-place finish for Groves in the 200 yard Individual Medley.
• A first-place finish for Tyler Hutson in the 50 yard Freestyle.
South Lakes swimmers return to the pool for the conference meet at Yorktown High School in Arlington later this week. Diving competition is Thursday. Swimming competition is Friday and Saturday.
Indoor track — The Seahawks, defending Liberty District champs in both boys and girls indoor track, competed in Day 1 of the 2014 conference meet Friday at the Prince George’s Sports Complex. Senior Danielle Hale won four events and the boys 4×800 relay had a state-tourney qualifying time. Day 2 of the meet is Thursday at the same location. Visit the South Lakes Athletics website for more results.
Basketball — The South Lakes girls team is 14-1 after defeating Washington-Lee 58-26 on Friday. The girls, No. 6 in this week’s Washington Post rankings, play at Yorktown on Tuesday. The boys have won two in row, including a 71-55 victory over Washington-Lee Friday, and are 8-7 overall. Brandon Kamga led the Seahawks in that game with 31 points. The boys host Yorktown Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.