A snow storm is slated to hit the Reston area after sunset Wednesday night. The area is under a Winter Storm Warning, and 4 to 8 inches of snow could fall here between Wednesday night and Thursday afternoon.
- Fairfax County Public Schools have canceled all evening activities on Wednesday.
- Metrobus late-night bus service will be cancelled after 1 a.m. tonight, and MetroAccess service for riders with disabilities will be suspended tomorrow.
- Metrobus: Scheduled Metrobus trips that connect with the last trains of the night are expected to operate; however, all other Metrobus trips that originate at or after 1:00 a.m. will be cancelled tonight. (Metrobus trips that originate before 1:00 a.m.will continue to their final destination, even if the arrival time is later than 1:00 a.m.)
- MetroAccess: Due to the weather forecast and expected road conditions, all MetroAccess paratransit service will be suspended on Thursday. Service will be restored when it is safe to do so; however a time for service restoration is not yet known.
- Fairfax County’s Emergency Information blog has this list of reminders and important numbers.
- Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe has issued a state of emergency for the commonwealth. A state of emergency, authorizes state agencies to position resources to prepare for the storm and recovery, including the Virginia Department of Emergency Management, the Department of Transportation, the Virginia National Guard and utility companies. McAuliffe said Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) crews are conducting anti-icing operations on major roadways across the state in preparation for the storm.
- VDOT says more than 12,300 pieces of equipment, including trucks and plows will be deployed. VDOT is also prepared to remove trees, branches and other debris that may fall on roadways. The agency said its goal is to have roads passable within 48 hours of the storm. To see when your street may be plowed after two inches of snow falls, visit www.vdotplows.org.
(Updated. at 9:50 a.m.) The St. James has signed a lease at One Freedom Plaza for a 25,000-square-foot facility at 11951 Freedom Drive. The company, the region’s largest athletic facility,…
An overturned car has prompted the closure of both sides of Herndon Parkway between Spring Street and the Herndon Police Department. Local police encourage residents to avoid the area and…
Commercial Buildings Win Awards — Projects in Fairfax County received 10 honors at the NAIOP Northern Virginia awards earlier this month. College Board in Reston received the award of excellence…
Join the Kensington Reston at the Memory Cafe on December 2 to learn more about the Memory Care Center.