The region remains under a Winter Storm Warning through 6 p.m. Monday as the National Weather Service says 6 to 10 inches of snow may fall in Northern Virginia.
The NWS says there will be hazardous travel due to ice and snow on Monday, with power outages possible if ice forms on power lines.
As a result, most things are closed Monday, including:
- Fairfax County Government
- Fairfax County Public Schools
- Federal Government
- Reston Association offices
- Reston Community Center
- Reston YMCA
The Virginia Department of Transportation says drivers should stay off the roads on Monday. VDOT says 4,000 trucks were ready to work as of Sunday night to clear interstates, major roads and neighborhood streets in Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William and Arlington counties.
Want to know if a plow is heading your way? Input your address at www.vdotplows.org to see the status of plowing in their neighborhood.
Also from VDOT:
- Park in your driveway or on the odd-numbered side of the street to allow plows room to pass.
- When shoveling, leave the last few feet at the curb until the street is plowed, as the truck will push some snow back. Shovel to the right facing the road.
- Chemicals are not used in subdivisions, but crews sand hills, curves and intersections to provide traction. For most storms, one snowplow pass, about eight to ten feet wide, is made.
Photo courtesy of VDOT.
An artist using a wall as a canvass has plenty of inspiration as well as the backing of the building’s owner. Vehicles using the Tesla Supercharger at Reston Station have…
The 11.5-mile extension of the Silver Line into Loudoun County has cleared another major hurdle. Contractors have finally completed the rail yard associated with the multibillion-dollar project, according to the…
Park Authority Snags Honors — The Fairfax County Park Authority won three GIS excellence awards during the county’s annual Geographic Information System Day contest. The park authority was one of…
Food apps are bringing changes to a Lake Anne Plaza anchor restaurant that’s catering to niches for pizza, pasta and more. Kalypso’s Sports Tavern, which often draws crowds to its…