What you need to know:
* A National Weather Service (NWS) wind advisory remains in effect until 11 a.m. A wind advisory means gusts of 45 to 55 miles per hour are expected.
* 60 mile per hour winds were measured at Dulles International Airport overnight, according to the Capital Weather Gang.
* There are reports of several trees down in Reston.
* As of 7:30 a.m. Thursday, the traffic light at at Wiehle Avenue and Sunset Hills Road had blown down. Police are on the scene directing traffic.
* Fairfax County has issued a Red Flag Warning from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday. A Red Flag Warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring now or will shortly. A combination of strong winds, low relative humidity and warm temperatures can contribute to extreme fire behavior.
* Dominion Virginia Power is reporting about 1,500 customers without power in Fairfax County as of 7:30 a.m.
Any wind damage in your neighborhood? Let us know. Send photos to [email protected].
Fairfax County Public Schools (file photo) Fairfax County Public Schools has to adjust its budget outlook for the next two years after a miscalculation led the state to overestimate how…
The Herndon location features infrared sauna workouts (photo courtesy Hotworx) Hotworx, a fitness studio that offers 24/7 infrared workouts, has opened in Woodland Crossing in the Herndon area. Located at…
Snow on bridge in Reston’s The Glade (photo by Marjorie Copson) Deadline for Feedback on School Calendars Extended — “Thank you to the approximately 23,000 families, staff, students, and community…
An electric vehicle charger at the Sully Community Center (staff photo by Jay Westcott) Reston Association is charging up to potentially take part in Fairfax County pilot to get more…
The Ravel Dance Studio will re-open for fall classes 2020. The school will offer in person and virtual online instruction. With over 5000 sq. ft. to social distance the school has added air ionization filtration systems, ballet barres, acrylic dividers, hands free bathrooms, strict monitoring and more.
The Ravel Dance Studio will produce a Nutcracker Ballet Hollywood style video through the Reston Community CenterStage. REGISTRATION online begins August 17.
Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.
He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.