Reston Swim Team Association (RSTA) saw several longtime records fall as it opened its 42nd season on Saturday.
Tyler Ellis of Glade set four new records.. He set a new league record in the 13-14 50 Butterfly, breaking the record set by Adam Orton of Ridge Heights (27.87) that has stood since 1995, with a new time of 27.66, which also set a new Glade team record. Ellis also set a new record in 13-14 50 Freestyle with a time of 25.88, breaking his own record from last year. His fourth new record was in the 13-14 50 Backstroke, breaking Jonathan Christensen’s record from 2005 by more than a second with a time of 30.83.
Tyler’s brother Hunter Ellis set two new records of his own. He set a new Glade team record in the 11-12 50 Backstroke with a time of 34.86, beating Jonathan Christensen’s time from 2003 of 35.18. In the 11-12 50 Butterfly, Hunter beat his brother’s record from 2012 of 33.53 with a new time of 31.86.
- Newbridge’s Ryan Ha, set a new team record in 13-14 50 Backstroke (30.74), beating his own record set during the All-Star meet last summer.
- Lake Newport’s Girls Mixed Age Relay team of Greta Larne, Meghan Sharma, Anna Redican, Emi Redican, and Katie Storch broke a record set in 2012 with a new time of 2:08.38.
- Lake Newport Lightning 653, Ridge Heights Sharks 465
- Lake Audubon Barracudas 622, Glade Gators 468
- North Hills Hurricanes 562, Hunters Woods Blue Marlins 471
- Newbridge Dolphins 610, Autumnwood Piranhas 412
For more information, visit the RSTA website.
–Submitted by Lyn Fiscus; photos courtesy of RSTA