Now that the students are finally off for the summer, the real work can begin at Reston’s Terraset Elementary School.
The school at 11411 Ridge Heights Rd. is undergoing a multimillion renovation. Many classes were moved into temporary classrooms this school year as the interior work began.
Late last week, work began on demolishing the dual pedestrian bridges that lead from the kiss-and-ride area to the school, which is partially built underground.
Terraset, as well as Sunrise Valley Elementary School, will transform from a late-1970s open classroom layout to a more traditional one. The Terraset renovations will increase the school’s capacity by about 300 students.
Also among the changes for Terraset:
- 3,400-square foot administrative addition to the front entrance.
- 7,613-square-foot art and music addition
- 11,100-square-foot media and classroom addition.
- 3,919-square-foot School Age Child Care addition
- 7,521-square-foot west classroom addition
- New kiss-and-ride area
- New parking areas in various locations
- Two asphalt play areas and a soccer field at the rear of the school