Man Badly Burned in Kitchen Accident at Hunters Woods Fellowship House

Fairfax County Fire RescueA maintenance worker at Hunters Woods Fellowship House was badly burned by hot grease as he assisted a resident at the senior housing building Thursday afternoon, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue officials said.

Deputy Fire Chief Chuck Ryan said units were called to the building at 2231 Colts Neck Rd. about 4:30 p.m.

A resident had been cooking and smoke set off the smoke alarm. When the maintenance worker, whose name was not released, went to assist the resident, he was accidentally splashed with hot grease from the stove.

The employee was taken by medical helicopter to the burn unit at Washington Hospital Center in D.C., Ryan said. He is being treated for non life-threatening injuries.

There was no actual fire, just grease and smoke in the kitchen accident, fire officials said.

Recent Stories

A duck takes a bath in Royal Lake near Burke (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) The weekend is almost here. Before you double check your Congressional district or head to…

The festival takes place in Reston Town Square park tomorrow (courtesy Canine Companions) A DogFest is coming to Reston Town Square Park tomorrow (Saturday). The event, slated to take place…

The county is considering ways to preserve dark skies around the observatory (via Fairfax County Government) An effort is underway to preserve the dark skies around the Turner Farm Park…

Morning Notes

Lake Audubon from bridge in Reston (photo by Ray Copson) Reminder: Early Voting Begins — “[It’s] the first day to #voteearly in the congressional #midterms! The 8th, 10th & 11th…

×

Subscribe to our mailing list