Saturday’s ribbon cutting and open house will feature a lineup of VIP speakers, including Hunter Mill District Supervisor Cathy Hudgins; Gov. Terry McAuliffe; Rep. Gerry Connolly; Peter Rogoff, U.S. Under Secretary of Transportation; State Sen. Janet Howell; Del. Ken Plum; Del. Tom Rust; Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chairman Sharon Bulova; Dranesville District Supervisor John Foust.
The ribbon cutting takes place at 10 a.m. The open house will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visitors can check out 3,300-space parking garage and dedicated bike room. For more details, read this previous Reston Now article.
Sunday, July 20 begins six days of simulated service, which will familiarize Metro employees and finalize train schedules under real-time conditions. Here is an overview from Fairfax County and Metro of how simulation trains will operate:
- Simulation trains will run between Wiehle-Reston East and Largo Town Center stations at all hours that the Metrorail system is open.
- Simulation trains will run every 6 minutes during rush hour and every 12 to 20 minutes during off-peak times, consistent with the schedule for Silver Line trains once the line opens.
- Simulation trains trains will not carry passengers to or from the five new Silver Line stations. However, passengers will be able to board these trains for travel between East Falls Church and Largo Town Center, in either direction, including all stops along the Orange and Blue lines in Downtown DC.
- Between July 20 and noon July 26, simulation trains will be labeled as Orange Line trains showing a destination of either East Falls Church or Largo Town Center.
- Westbound trains will offload any remaining passengers at East Falls Church and then continue to Wiehle-Reston East without passengers aboard.
The 11-mile rail extension officially opens when the first car will leave Wiehle-Reston East at noon on July 26. More details about opening day can be found in this previous Reston Now post.
Photo: Hunter Mill Supervisor Cathy Hudgins (left) and Gov. Terry McAuliffe will be among the VIPs at Saturday’s open house at Wiehle-Reston East/Reston Now file photo
A mural on the side of the Quality Inn on Fordson Road in Groveton (staff photo by Brandi Bottalico) Motorcyclist Dies Falling from I-495 — “An Alexandria motorcyclist was killed…
This is a sponsored column by attorneys John Berry and Kimberly Berry of Berry & Berry, PLLC, an employment and labor law firm located in Northern Virginia that specializes in federal…
The Fairfax Health District reported a small uptick in COVID-19 cases over the past week, while the availability of vaccines for the area’s youngest residents expanded. With more than 500…
For the second time in the past month, Reston Association’s Board of Directors has appointed a new board member — a process that is typically conducted with a member-driven election….