Saturday’s ribbon cutting and open house will feature a lineup of VIP speakers, including Hunter Mill District Supervisor Cathy Hudgins; Gov. Terry McAuliffe; Rep. Gerry Connolly; Peter Rogoff, U.S. Under Secretary of Transportation; State Sen. Janet Howell; Del. Ken Plum; Del. Tom Rust; Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chairman Sharon Bulova; Dranesville District Supervisor John Foust.
The ribbon cutting takes place at 10 a.m. The open house will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visitors can check out 3,300-space parking garage and dedicated bike room. For more details, read this previous Reston Now article.
Sunday, July 20 begins six days of simulated service, which will familiarize Metro employees and finalize train schedules under real-time conditions. Here is an overview from Fairfax County and Metro of how simulation trains will operate:
- Simulation trains will run between Wiehle-Reston East and Largo Town Center stations at all hours that the Metrorail system is open.
- Simulation trains will run every 6 minutes during rush hour and every 12 to 20 minutes during off-peak times, consistent with the schedule for Silver Line trains once the line opens.
- Simulation trains trains will not carry passengers to or from the five new Silver Line stations. However, passengers will be able to board these trains for travel between East Falls Church and Largo Town Center, in either direction, including all stops along the Orange and Blue lines in Downtown DC.
- Between July 20 and noon July 26, simulation trains will be labeled as Orange Line trains showing a destination of either East Falls Church or Largo Town Center.
- Westbound trains will offload any remaining passengers at East Falls Church and then continue to Wiehle-Reston East without passengers aboard.
The 11-mile rail extension officially opens when the first car will leave Wiehle-Reston East at noon on July 26. More details about opening day can be found in this previous Reston Now post.
Photo: Hunter Mill Supervisor Cathy Hudgins (left) and Gov. Terry McAuliffe will be among the VIPs at Saturday’s open house at Wiehle-Reston East/Reston Now file photo
Columbia Associates is opening a new mental health clinic in Reston (courtesy Columbia Associates) A mental health facility has opened its doors in Reston, promising to help both clients and…
Live Fairfax is a bi-weekly column exploring Fairfax County. This recurring column is sponsored and written by Sharmane Medaris of McEnearney Associates. Questions? Reach Sharmane at 813-504-4479. Have you explored the culinary treasure…
The plan for a major residential neighborhood near the Innovation Center Metro station in the Herndon area is evolving. But the tweak won’t be approved by the Fairfax County Planning…
EVgo electric vehicle chargers (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) To further its environmental goals, Fairfax County’s to-do list should include building an electric vehicle charging network, addressing “critical” staff shortages,…