Metro says it is concerned that its customers may fall victim to discount fare card scams. The cards are purchased fraudulently and then sold to the public for less than the fare value on the cards.
The Metro Transit Police Department investigates potentially fraudulent sales of SmarTrip cards, including monitoring activity on online auction sites.
“Riders should be aware that any SmarTrip card purchased from an unauthorized individual or website may be subject to deactivation and the loss of any value on the card,” said Metro Transit Police Chief Ron Pavlik.
SmarTrip cards are available for sale at thousands of locations around the region, including dispensers at all Metrorail stations, at Metro Sales Offices, and through licensed vendors including CVS, Giant, Safeway, and Walmart. Any card purchased from an individual or unlicensed source is considered invalid and may be flagged for deactivation.
SmarTrip security tips
- Only purchase SmarTrip cards at authorized locations such as Metrorail stations, CVS, Giant, Safeway and Walmart.
- Never purchase a SmarTrip card from online auction websites.
- Never purchase a used SmarTrip card from another person.
- Register your card online to protect its value.
- If your SmarTrip card is lost or stolen, report it immediately.
- If you suspect fraud, notify Metro Transit Police at (202) 962-2121 or text MyMTPD.
Before we head into a weekend, let’s take a look back at the biggest stories on the site in recent days. Red Velvet Bakery opening Saturday, first 200 people get…
A new rebate program that starts next year would give thousands of dollars to Virginians who buy or lease an electric vehicle. But it’s not funded. Fairfax County officials said the…
Open houses this weekend include a 3 BD/2.5+ BA townhouse with a breakfast nook and private patio overlooking Reston National Golf Course.
After reopening its doors for the first indoor production during the pandemic in August, Herndon’s NextStop Theatre Company plans to scale back its programming schedule for this fall due to…