Snow, which fell as predicted, is having an impact this morning, and the Winter Storm Warning for our area remains in effect until noon.
Here are some things you need to know:
About 3 to 3.5 inches have fallen in Reston as of 5:45 a.m., according to the National Weather Service.
Fairfax County Public School are closed.
Fairfax County Government and Courts are closed.
The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors will meet as scheduled, but start time has been changed to noon.
Reston Association offices are closed.
Fairfax County trash and recycling collection in sanitary districts (15 percent of county households) has been canceled. Collections are planned to resume in sanitary districts on Wednesday (weather and road conditions permitting) on the following schedule: Tuesday and Wednesday collections customers will be collected on Wednesday, Feb. 18. Service will return to normal on Thursday. If you have private trash service, check with your provider.
Fairfax County Park Authority programs are canceled.
The Federal Government is closed.
Fairfax Connector bus service will be operating on the regular Saturday schedule in order to allow more time for the Virginia Department of Transportation to clear the roadways. View details for Saturday service on VDOT’s website.
VDOT is urging drivers to delay travel until at least 10:00 a.m., as crews continue working to clear and treat roads in Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William and Arlington counties. Interstates and major primaries are passable with extreme caution. Other roads were also plowed continuously overnight but still have a layer of snow and ice.
- HOV restrictions are lifted on I-66, I-395 and the Dulles Toll Road. HOV-3 requirements still apply on the 495 and 95 Express Lanes.
- Eastbound I-66 X lanes will be unavailable for the morning rush hour, as crews continue to clear shoulders.
- Crews continue to clear interstates, major roads and neighborhood streets concurrently. Check www.vdotplows.org to see the status of plowing in neighborhoods.
- If you can, park in your driveway or on the odd-numbered side of the street to allow plows room to pass.
- After a plow has passed, roads will be passable, but will not be bare pavement and may remain snow-packed.
- Stay off the roads or delay trips to allow crews time to safely treat the roads.
Forecasters say the snow should be tapering off by 7 a.m, but temperatures will remain below freezing through most of the week.
Photo: Snow on Lake Audubon by Robert H. via Twitter.
Fairfax County Public Schools School-based COVID-19 vaccination clinics for elementary school-aged children could be set up as soon as mid-November, Fairfax County Public Schools officials say. As reported to the…
The developer of a 300-unit apartment building near the Wiehle-Reston East Metro Station and along Hidden Creek Country Club plans to scale back parking at the site. Golf Course Overlook…
Looking to explore near your home? Discover the offerings of Burke Lake Park in the latest Reston Home Insider.
Herndon is moving toward examining mixed-use possibilities near the pending Herndon Metro station and expects to use money from private landowners to “study” the area. Under the agreement, certain property…