Units were called to 13820 Sunrise Valley Dr. in Herndon, near the Westin Washington Dulles, about 7:45 p.m.
Firefighters said they encountered heavy smoke coming from the lower level of the 10-story building upon arrival. Upon further investigation, firefighters found fire in the first floor “battery room.” Additionally, an outside transformer caught fire near the building.
The incident commander issues a second alarm, which brought more than 60 firefighters to the scene.
There were approximately 50 employees in the building when the fire broke out. All were able to get out of the building. There were no injuries.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the room of origin and transformer with no fire extension to other parts of the building.
Firefighters said the automatic fire alarm did activate; however, a security officer called 911 after hearing an explosion. One sprinkler head did activate helping to keep the fire contained.
Damage is estimated at $2 million.
The fire has been ruled accidental. An electrical event in the control module to the uninterruptible power supply caused the fire, officials said.
Nothing Bundt Cakes plans to bring its tiered bundt cakes, bundtlets, and other sweet options to the Town of Herndon. Exterior signs posted in Herndon Centre indicate the business has…
An illustration of a coronavirus (via CDC/Unsplash) In many ways, this past Thanksgiving weekend looked much more normal than last year’s isolated celebrations. COVID-19 vaccines enabled many people to gather…
The latest Legal Insider discusses the confusion by security clearance holders and their ability to use marijuana.
The weekly planner is a roundup of interesting events over the next week in the Herndon and Reston area. We’ve searched the web for events of note. Want to submit…