But, first, the opening ceremonies at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C.
The opening ceremonies begin Friday at 6 p.m. Doors open at 4 p.m.
Admission to the event is free, but tickets are necessary. Visit the Fairfax2015 website to order tickets.
The opening ceremonies will feature a welcome celebration; parade of athletes; lighting of the torch; Athletes’ Oath; and an after-ceremony concert by Sugar Ray.
The games will take place Friday through July 5 at 53 venues, mainly in Fairfax County. More than 200 Fairfax County officers will compete.
Nine sports competitions will take place in Reston, including:
- Honor Guard — Hyatt Regency Reston, June 27 and 28.
- Ice Hockey — Reston SkateQuest, June 27 to July 3
- Police Service Dogs — Lake Fairfax Park, June 27 and 28
- Rowing — Hyatt Regency Reston, July 3 and 4
- Half Marathon — Reston Town Center, July 5
- Open Water Swim — Lake Audubon, June 28
- Triathlon — Lake Audubon/South Lakes High School, July 3
- Cross Country Running — Lake Fairfax Park, June 30
- Wrist Wrestling — Reston Town Center, Hyatt Regency Reston, July 3
Tickets to all Reston events, and almost every sports competition are free and do not require tickets.
Reston Town Center will also be a hub of activity as the Athletes Village for the Games. Athletes will not necessarily be staying in Reston, but the town center will serve as a nightly venue for socializing with organized activities and entertainment for athletes, family and friends. Read this previous Reston Now story to get an idea of what’s planned.
Photo: World Police & Fire Games 2013/file photo
Before we head into a weekend, let’s take a look back at the biggest stories on the site in recent days. Pet of the Week: Bear who, after living outside…
Construction on a new pedestrian bridge over Wiehle Avenue is set to begin sometime next summer. The bridge, which would connect to the Washington & Old Dominion Trail, is intended…
Zoomph, a Reston-based tech company that started in 2016 is continuing to build national partnerships. Its digital platform provides social media post metrics for sports clients along with detailed demographic…
For anyone who feels strongly about whether or not Lee Highway and Lee-Jackson Memorial Highway should continue to bear those names, the time to share that opinion has arrived. The…