But, first, the opening ceremonies at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C.
The opening ceremonies begin Friday at 6 p.m. Doors open at 4 p.m.
Admission to the event is free, but tickets are necessary. Visit the Fairfax2015 website to order tickets.
The opening ceremonies will feature a welcome celebration; parade of athletes; lighting of the torch; Athletes’ Oath; and an after-ceremony concert by Sugar Ray.
The games will take place Friday through July 5 at 53 venues, mainly in Fairfax County. More than 200 Fairfax County officers will compete.
Nine sports competitions will take place in Reston, including:
- Honor Guard — Hyatt Regency Reston, June 27 and 28.
- Ice Hockey — Reston SkateQuest, June 27 to July 3
- Police Service Dogs — Lake Fairfax Park, June 27 and 28
- Rowing — Hyatt Regency Reston, July 3 and 4
- Half Marathon — Reston Town Center, July 5
- Open Water Swim — Lake Audubon, June 28
- Triathlon — Lake Audubon/South Lakes High School, July 3
- Cross Country Running — Lake Fairfax Park, June 30
- Wrist Wrestling — Reston Town Center, Hyatt Regency Reston, July 3
Tickets to all Reston events, and almost every sports competition are free and do not require tickets.
Reston Town Center will also be a hub of activity as the Athletes Village for the Games. Athletes will not necessarily be staying in Reston, but the town center will serve as a nightly venue for socializing with organized activities and entertainment for athletes, family and friends. Read this previous Reston Now story to get an idea of what’s planned.
Photo: World Police & Fire Games 2013/file photo