The Initiative for Public Art Reston (IPAR) and Reston Community Center are teaming up on the We Make Reston, an INSIDE OUT Project.
We Make Reston will feature large-scale photographic portraits representing the diverse faces of Reston. The outdoor exhibit will be unveiled at the Reston Multicultural Festival on Sept. 26 at Lake Anne Plaza.
The photos will remain on display for up to four weeks, depending on weather.
RCC Executive Director Leila Gordon says that the project will contribute to a diversity dialogue that began when Reston was founded as one of Virginia’s first racially integrated communities more than 50 years ago.
“This public art project kicks off community discussions occurring over the next months,” says Gordon. “RCC and our partners hope these dialogues will help us reconnect to and sustain our founding values and how we live them,
Want to be a part of the project? Reston residents and employees are invited to submit black and white photos to be considered for inclusion. Submissions will be accepted from July 15 through Aug. 9.
To submit an image and application for inclusion in “We Make Reston,” please visit youjudgeit.org/restonpublicart between July 15 and Aug. 9.
For submission guidelines and more information, please visit RCC’s We Make Reston page.
- All photos must be at least 1MB at 100 dpi or greater. Acceptable files include .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, or .bmp. PNG and PDF files will not be accepted.
- All portraits must be black-and-white with vertical orientation.
- One person per portrait.
- Each person may enter up to three portraits.
- The person featured in the portrait must live or work in Reston.
- Portraits should be of yourself or anyone who has given you permission to share their image.
- The portrait must be of just a face, with no additional body parts, disguises, or pets. Let the story of you inspire your expression.
- No brand names, product placement, or copyrighted material may be in the image. You may not use the project for any commercial purpose. You may not promote yourself, a product, or brand in the portrait or through this exhibit. You may not publicize an organization.
- All liability waivers/copyright release forms must be signed and submitted with each portrait.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a seven-word bio about the photographer.
- Employees of Reston Community Center or Initiative for Public Art – Reston are not eligible.
We Make Reston is part of the INSIDE OUT project – a global initiative with 200,000 participants from more than 112 countries and territories.
The INSIDE OUT project is a creation of the artist JR, recipient of the 2011 TED Prize. INSIDE OUT says in its mission statement that “everyone is challenged to use black and white photographic portraits to discover, reveal and share the untold stories and images of people around the world. ”
INSIDE OUT Toronto project/Credit: INSIDE OUT
Before we head into a weekend, let’s take a look back at the biggest stories on the site in recent days. Pet of the Week: Bear who, after living outside…
Construction on a new pedestrian bridge over Wiehle Avenue is set to begin sometime next summer. The bridge, which would connect to the Washington & Old Dominion Trail, is intended…
Zoomph, a Reston-based tech company that started in 2016 is continuing to build national partnerships. Its digital platform provides social media post metrics for sports clients along with detailed demographic…
For anyone who feels strongly about whether or not Lee Highway and Lee-Jackson Memorial Highway should continue to bear those names, the time to share that opinion has arrived. The…