Reston Swim Team Association swimmers capped off the 2015 season by breaking more records at Saturday’s annual All-Star meet.
Lake Anne swimmers set three new league records. Joanne Fu broke the girls 15-18 50-meter Butterfly record with a time of 29.68. Darius Truong came in at 27.63 in 11-12 boys 50-meter Freestyle to beat the previous league record of 28.36. Truong also swam 35.06 to break a 25-year-old record (35.69) in the 11-12 boys 50-meter Breaststroke.
The following new teams records also were set:
• For Lake Anne, Emily Meilus set a new record of 27.83 for 15-18 Women’s 50-meter Freestyle while the girls 8 & under 100-meter Free Relay team of Amber Lu, Jacqui Go, Claire Munro, Katie Semanchik set a new record of 1:22.43.
• For Glade, Sophia Landeryou set two new team records: in the girls 11-12 50-meter Freestyle she clocked a time of 28.79. In the girls 11-12 50-meter Backstroke, she set a record of 32.53.
Natalie Bardach set a new team record in girls 13-14 50-meter Freestyle with a time of 29.10.
The girls mixed age 200-meter Freestyle relay team of Kelsey Birkland, Clara Landeryou, Sophia Landeryou, and Natalie Bardach set a new record of 2:05.74.
• For Lake Newport, Anna Redican set a new record time of 32.04 for girls 13-14 50-meter Backstroke and beat a 1994 record in the girls 13-14 50-meter Butterfly with a time of 31.07.
The 8 & under boys 100-meter medley relay team of Cameron Romero, David Egge, Tyler Richards, and Michael Zhou set a new record of 1:18.33.
• For Newbridge, Ryan Ha set a new team record for the boys 15-18 50-meter Backstroke (28.69).
The boys 15-18 200-meter medley relay team of Ryan Ha, Eric Compton, Andy Carro, and Greg Mayo set a new record with a time of 1:56.40.
• For North Hills, Joseph Sciortino set a new team record (32.38) in the boys 11-12 50-meter Butterfly and a record (35.32) in the boys 11-12 50-meter Backstroke.
The girls mixed age 200-meter Free relay team of Sarah Sciortino, Katie Cazenas, Samantha Sciortino, and Marlee Czarny set a new team record of 2:05.40.
The girls 9-10 100-meter medley relay team of Caroline Xu, Zoe Burke, Betty Yakobson, and Katie Cazenas set a new team record (1:17.17).
The boys 11-12 100-meter medley relay team of Miles Yang, Evan Zhang, Joseph Sciortino, and William Xu set a new team record (1:08.58).
• For Hunters Woods, the boys mixed age 200-meter Free relay team of Brian Zhou, Nolan Dunkel, Roger Zeng, Philip Pan and Jack Henry Ham set a new record (2:02.68).
The boys 13-14 200-meter medley relay team of Chris Yang, Daniel Li, Philip Pan, Albert Xu set a new record (2:11.92).
• For Lake Audubon, Matthew Fritz set a new record (34.59) in the boys 11-12 50-meter Backstroke.
• For Ridge Heights, Dylan Hawley set a record (24.59) in the boys 15-18 50-meter Freestyle.
Results of all the events can be viewed on the RSTA website at www.rsta.org under “Summer Swim.”
The league also honored longtime volunteer Judy Minogue with the Kim Klarman award at Saturday’s All-Star Meet.
The Kim Klarman award is given each year to a volunteer who has made a difference to RSTA and to the community at large with a commitment to longterm league and community service.
The award is named for Kim Klarman, who held many positions during her 15 years of service to RSTA before dying of cancer several years ago. A donation of $250 will be made by RSTA to the charity of Minogue’s choice.
Minogue, a former team manager, has been a participant in RSTA since 1993. Even though her children have not been RSTA swimmers since 1999, she continues to serve RSTA as an official.
The Arrowbrook Centre development plan (via Arrowbrooke Centre LLC) Arrowbrook Centre, an anchoring mixed-use neighborhood near the Innovation Center Metro station, is moving one step forward to completion. Several pieces…
The new Barnes and Noble in Spectrum at Reston Town Center opens next week (via Barnes & Noble/Instagram) There’s less than a week left until Barnes & Noble will officially…
(Updated at 10:30 a.m.) It’s another day of poor air quality for Fairfax County and the rest of the D.C. area. As wildfires continue to burn in Canada, the resulting…
Haze turns the sky orange over the Vienna Metro station garage (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Air Quality Issues Continue Today — “Due to the wildfires in Canada, a Code…