The northern portion of the underground walkway from Parking Garage 1 and the Main Terminal at Washington Dulles International Airport will close on Jan. 11 for construction of Metro’s Silver Line station.
Signage within the garage and the terminal will direct passengers to increased shuttle bus service for travelers parking in the garage.
Here is what you need to know:
- Transportation between Garage 1 and the Main Terminal will be provided by shuttle buses approximately every five minutes during peak hours.
- Buses will pick up and drop off passengers at three locations on the south (terminal-facing) side of Garage 1.
- The parking shuttle buses stops at the Main Terminal at two locations along the second arrivals curb, near the exit at Door #2 and exit at Door #6.
- While the walkway to Garage 1 is closed, there will be no pedestrian access between Garage 1 and the Main Terminal.
- Pedestrian access between the Terminal Parking Lot and the Main Terminal via the walkway will be maintained. The walkway from Garage 2 to the Main Terminal will be unaffected and remain open.
“The expansion of the Silver Line Metrorail to Dulles International will play a significant role in the airport’s future,” Jack Potter, president and chief executive officer for the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, said in a statement. “This temporary tunnel closure ultimately will result in a much more accessible airport and an enhanced experience for passengers.”
The Metrorail station will connect to the existing underground walkway between the garage and the terminal. The work on the station connector, which is expected to last up to 24 months, includes multiple utility and communication line installations and reconfigurations, shortening the existing moving walkways to accommodate the new rail station, and adjusting the walkway grade to match the station’s mezzanine level.
The Dulles Metro station is part of the Silver Line’s Phase 2 expansion, which will take Metro service from Wiehle-Reston East to Dulles and into Loudoun County. It is expected to open in early 2020.
Rendering of future Dulles Airport Station courtesy MWAA
By the water at Reston’s Lake Anne Plaza (staff photo by Jay Westcott) Lake Anne’s plaza will once again spring to life this summer with concerts. Lake Anne Live! —…
Live Fairfax is a bi-weekly column exploring Fairfax County. This recurring column is sponsored and written by Sharmane Medaris of McEnearney Associates. Questions? Reach Sharmane at 813-504-4479. Get ready to make this summer…
Some trees line Leesburg Pike (Route 7) in Idylwood (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) In an effort to reduce heat islands in vulnerable communities, the Fairfax County Department of Public…
A new neighborhood park is officially open at Reston Station (courtesy EYA) A new neighborhood park is officially online at Reston Station just in time for the summer — although…