The northern portion of the underground walkway from Parking Garage 1 and the Main Terminal at Washington Dulles International Airport will close on Jan. 11 for construction of Metro’s Silver Line station.
Signage within the garage and the terminal will direct passengers to increased shuttle bus service for travelers parking in the garage.
Here is what you need to know:
- Transportation between Garage 1 and the Main Terminal will be provided by shuttle buses approximately every five minutes during peak hours.
- Buses will pick up and drop off passengers at three locations on the south (terminal-facing) side of Garage 1.
- The parking shuttle buses stops at the Main Terminal at two locations along the second arrivals curb, near the exit at Door #2 and exit at Door #6.
- While the walkway to Garage 1 is closed, there will be no pedestrian access between Garage 1 and the Main Terminal.
- Pedestrian access between the Terminal Parking Lot and the Main Terminal via the walkway will be maintained. The walkway from Garage 2 to the Main Terminal will be unaffected and remain open.
“The expansion of the Silver Line Metrorail to Dulles International will play a significant role in the airport’s future,” Jack Potter, president and chief executive officer for the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, said in a statement. “This temporary tunnel closure ultimately will result in a much more accessible airport and an enhanced experience for passengers.”
The Metrorail station will connect to the existing underground walkway between the garage and the terminal. The work on the station connector, which is expected to last up to 24 months, includes multiple utility and communication line installations and reconfigurations, shortening the existing moving walkways to accommodate the new rail station, and adjusting the walkway grade to match the station’s mezzanine level.
The Dulles Metro station is part of the Silver Line’s Phase 2 expansion, which will take Metro service from Wiehle-Reston East to Dulles and into Loudoun County. It is expected to open in early 2020.
Rendering of future Dulles Airport Station courtesy MWAA
LGBTQIA+ stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, asexual/agender, and other gender and sexual minority identities (via Sharon McCutcheon/Unsplash) Students and staff in the LGBTQIA+ community expressed relief yesterday…
With giving Tuesday on the horizon, the season of charity and gift-giving has arrived. A number of local organizations have launched year-end campaigns and donations drives. We’ve rounded up some…
Meet Comical Coco, an adult chi mix, a 15-pound happy little guy who is reportedly great with other dogs and kids. Here’s what Stone’s friends at Safe Haven Puppy Rescue…
With Thanksgiving on the horizon, many local entities and organizations will be closed. Fairfax County government offices and Fairfax County Public Schools will be closed for Thanksgiving (Thursday, Nov. 25)…